Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

To all you munchkin pros and cons

Options
Steve Eayrs
Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
I have a couple questions. Have a customer who wants me to install a munchkin, in our LP gas (but mostly oil) area. Seem any problems w/the LP conversion system?

Also we do a lot of Tekmar controls, (but mostly oil fired Buderus, etc.). For I/O control and radiant floor systems, any particular control work better than another, w/ Munchkin?

I understand these like cold returns and why, but do the munchkins have controls similar to the Vitodens?, which would make the tekmar controls for the most part redundant? System would be radiant floors and dhw in a residence.

thanks in advance for any help, Steve

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    New Munchin Controls

Provide reset with modulation [and I believe variable pumping] simultaneously to multiple zones requiring different temperatures [I believe up to 64] including indirects.

From its description, the new Munchin controls are optimized for systems using digital control--zone valves, multiple circulators and the like. Viessmann controls (similar product) seem to be optimal for proportion systems--TRVs and other two-way proportional devices. Of course it provides control for indirects, etc.

Remember that the Viessmann comes from a country where all spaces larger than closets must have a TRV or similar device and their hydronic engineers concentrate heavily on delta-p. Munchkin however is geared towards the American market where digital wall t-stats, zone valves, etc. are the norm and hydronic engineers concentrate heavily on delta-t. There really are big differences in these philosophies of control/design.
  • Steve Eayrs
    Options
    Thanks Mike

I will look into the new Munchkin control, and compare it with the Temar which we are used to doing. We most likley will not be shooting for the continuios circulation like Veissmann on this, but use zone valves, etc....
    I've done a few of the Vitodens and love those little boilers but this job will most likely not be one of them.
    In look through Munchkin stuff on the net, I did not see any technical info on their controls. Do you know if they have any of this info on the net yet??

thanks,
    Steve
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Not certain but haven't really looked. This came from a post by someone at HTP shortly before/after the new control system was released. You can probably find it by searching posts at this site but maybe someone more "in the know" will reply first.

Search words:

Munchin control new temperature multiple reset

might work but think I recall that multiple words are taken as literal phrases when searching archives here.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    munchy control

the new control setup is the Vision 1. Get in touch with your distributor for certification
  • Steve Eayrs
    Options
    Unless there is the slight chance of a class

being held somewhere closer to Alaska, I guess these boilers will not be installed much up here.
    I doubt that these controls are any more complicated than Tekmar or Veissmanns, which we have installed a fair bit of. I would think technical info would be more accessible, and a benifit to munchkin if it was. I can understand wanting only trained people to install these things, but if a person manaiges to be able to buy one and bring it up here, I hope the information needed is in the box.
    thanks,
    Steve Eayrs
This discussion has been closed.