Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One-Pipe Steam Radiators & TRVs

Options
Alex_3
Alex_3 Member Posts: 3
Hello all,

When adding TRVs to free-standing one-pipe steam radiators you just replace the existing vent with a new valve/vent/operator assembly...What do you use when your one-pipe steam radiator is a cast-iron element in a convector enclosure?

What about with Burnham Baseray or partially recessed Brunham radiator when only the front 1/8" tappings are exposed?

If you use a remote operator/sensor what is the best way to route the fixed-length cable? What is the best location for the remote assembly? I am thinking of placing the remote assembly on an oak block next to the trim that surrounds the radiator. Anything wrong with this? I don't want to bury the control cable in any wall because I think it should be accessable. It also makes sense to keep the control next to the radiator it controls.

Any specific brands/models of TRV I should look at?

Also, is a vacuum breaker a must-have on one pipe TRVs? As far as I know only Macon makes a valve with a vacuum breaker. I have used Danfoss valves in the past and they do not seem to have visible vacuum breakers. Is there a benefit to the Macon valve with vacuum breaker?

Advice please,
Al

Comments

• DWood
    DWood Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Lots of questions

Alex,

Last one first, the Danfoss 1 PS valve does have a vacumm breaker built into the valve. I think the vacumm breaker is necessary and not all 1 ps valves have them. To my knowledge, all 1 ps valves control the flow of air, not steam. In order for the valves to work correctly and control temperature, it is necessary for air to get back into the "system," the vacumm breaker allows this to happen when the operator is satisfied, or the seat and disk assembly is closed. Without the vacumm breaker, most systems will tend to overheat.

I am not a fan of putting baseboard on 1 ps systems. I know some are out there, but problems with vents spitting, water hammer noise, pitch, and length of runs seem to cause more problems than I care to deal with.

As far as cast iron cabinet heaters, there should be a 1/4" vent tapping somewhere. The 1 ps valve can be attached there and controlled with a remote sensing operator. Danfoss has several 1/4" 45 degree elbows available to aid in the piping, if necessary. The 1 ps valve needs to be pitched up so condensate does not trap the line.

Just my thoughts, good luck.

DWood
This discussion has been closed.