Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

End of season boiler question

Options
rathernotsay
rathernotsay Member Posts: 6
We're finally (and I do mean finally!) able to turn our home steam heating system off ahead of warmer temps. We have turned the thermostat down and were wondering if we should also flip the switch off on the boiler itself. Do we keep flushing the system a couple times a month when we're not using the system?

Comments

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Spring Time

I don't know about "not"needing the heat anymore ?This is one long heating season . Anyway your question....

Depends on the boiler but most boilers it's better to keep it on but lower the aquastat down to 120 degrees . Keeps chambers and working dry .Some boilers will leak from srinkage and need to be left on. If you have a older boiler and find a need to run a dehumidifier during the summer you can keep the boiler standing at 180 degrees which will keep your basement dry.Cheaper then running a dehumidifier in most areas.. A newer boiler is smaller and better insulated and would not give you the sane results. Now....If no aquastat on the job then might as well shut it down .

If the unit is turned off I see no need to flush . "Left on"keep the habit of twice a month...
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    lay-up

There are two methods of laying a steam boiler up for the season. A Dry lay-up consists of draining the boiler and opening all the man-holes to allow air to circulate through the boiler to completely dry it out. The second method is a wet lay-up. Fill the boiler completely with water, add an oxygen scavenger to control corrosion, and occasionally warm the boiler to turn the water over and keep the chemicals completely mixed.

I would contact a professional mechanical contractor in either case, and I would contact a water treatment professional for the proper chemistries for a wet lay-up.

Scott
This discussion has been closed.