Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Request help w/ ongoing problem

Options
JohnNY1
JohnNY1 Member Posts: 62
Some time last week I posted a picture of a poorly-piped residential steam boiler. The installer (heating and air conditioning contractor) took EIGHT (8) days to do the job with 4 men.
The boiler hasn't worked right yet.
Tomorrow I have to meet w/ him and the homeowner and negotiate some type of agreement.
He told the HO that if I could prove he did something wrong, he will turn the job (and final 1/3 payment) over to me.
The boiler installation is horrible. Take my word for it. There isn't even a Hartford Loop.
But I have to go there w/ something other than my professional opinion.

Yes, I'm bringing a copy of the "Lost Art".
Is there anything online I should know about as far as piping manuals go? Something I could download and print tonight? The boiler manuals only show very near boiler piping if you know what I mean.

Thanks to all who can help.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=282&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Steve Paul
    Steve Paul Member Posts: 83
    Options
    A Slippery slope

Why should you have to prove anything? You should not get involved in a dispute between the home owner and another contractor, unless you are willing to take a chance that the other guy might sue you for defamation of charactor. Your dealings should be only with the HO. Present him with a proposal of what you intend to do for him, state the price you have to get, and don't even venture an opinion as to the quality of the previous work. If you get the job,Swell! If you don't, sleep well tonight.
  • Unknown
    Options
    There are quite a few

boiler installation manuals online to download . Burnham , Peerless , Weil Mclain , to name a few . But for a diagram of a complete heating system , " The Lost Art " is your best bet . Which brand boiler did they install ? And can you repost that pic ?
  • JohnNY1
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    4 men , 8 days

And one big mess of a header . I cant tell which boiler you have there , but I can guarantee that no manufacturer would accept that as proper near boiler piping . I see a 2 inch copper tee facing up behind the gas heater smoke pipe . What does that connect to ? It also looks like they left the old equalizer . Looks to me like they could have cut out all that old crap , and reconnected into the single 3 inch (?) header easier , and correctly . Good luck with this one .
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    I would do what Steve Paul said

John@Reliable
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Here's a twist.

If you can't baffle em with bullsh^$, DAZZLE em with brillinace!

I looked and was wondering the same thing Ron was . Where does that go ? The other thing that strikes me is , the copper . Why ?

Just , why ? . I guess I don't get it . Thank the good Lord for the teachers I had ! Chris.
  • JohnNY1
    Options
    Weil-Mclain CgG series

WEil-McLain CG series, I believe. That tee facing upward int the back of the header is supposed to be a future connection for a proposed addition. Let me try to find another picture.

...I've GOT to buy a flash.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.