Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat wire?

Options
anthony_7
anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
I am doing and addition with three new zones. Question is it ok to run 18/2 for the t-stats or should I go 18/3 or more... I also will be running two zones for central a/c down the road. Although the handlers will be up in the attic. Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Options
    I'd run 5 conductor

In the event there are two scources of 24 volts, you would need a Rc; Rh; W; Y; and G. The two R wires are for the two different scources, one for cooling and one for heating. Y is cooling on, G is fan on, and W is heat on.

Noel
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Noel right

Never less than 5 conductor as the better stats need a common to keep the clock batt charged, 18 gauge has reasonable voltage drop for a NEMA 24V tfmr.
  • Jack Smith
    Jack Smith Member Posts: 53
    Options
    18/8

I run everything in 18/8. rc,rh,w1,y1,g,com,w2,y2. Besides what happens if you get a break in the wire. Have had it happen, thank God for the extra conductors!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Wire's cheap

run some spares. If the unit requires 4 or 5 conductor consider running a second 5 conductor so your spares are in a seperate wire. Often when a nail, or whatever hits a wire you lose more than one conductor. The second cable is cheap insurance. Extra conductors give you upgrade ability should you add outdoor temperature monitoring or something.

I like to run my wires to a plastic electrical box so there is room to store the spare and allow ease of wiring for the stat. It also provides a better mounting than just sheetrock! Make sure the stat you use will cover the box and is in the right position!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jim f
    jim f Member Posts: 182
    Options

i also run 18-8 to all thermostats even if they only need 2. i also run 18-5 to all condensers to accomadate sensors and any thing else the new products of the industry have to offer
    jim f.
  • Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Stats are becoming obselete.....

I'd run shielded cable to provide the ability to use Room temp sensors without the potential of interference.

Boilerpro
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Options
    Outstanding idea

Interference on low voltage wires to electronic controls are amoung the hardest to troubleshoot, to isolate to an area, and to remove and replace.

It's so easy to prevent it, as you said.

Noel
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Good advice!

18 gauge wire is the choice for our thermostats, and I usually recommend the 5 conductor wire, too. Excellent point about the shielded wire, especially for sensors that are used with our T8600 and PC8900 series. Hot Rod's idea of using a Jbox and running a spare is also good, but just make sure the box is insulated to avoid sensing wall cavity temperature. Something so simple, yet so important. Another point is what transformer you use...the few pennies you save by installing a non-NEMA transformer is quickly lost in callbacks & customer dissatisfaction. Most non-NEMA transformers produce either low or erratic voltages, murder on electronic stats, fan boards and boiler controls.
This discussion has been closed.