Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need slab temp sensor for radiant?

Terry
Terry Member Posts: 186
I've seen short lengths of pex used as the "thermowell", this way the sensor can be removed & replaced as required.

Terry

Comments

• Dylan Thomas
    Dylan Thomas Member Posts: 9
    or is it unneccessary?

I've got a friend of mine remodelling a basement. He's working with an engineer (please keep the groans to a minimum) to work up a radiant heat system for the new slab that will be poured in the next few weeks.

The plan, as far as I've discerned, is to lay 2" beadboard insulation on top of the graded soil, then wire mesh reinforcement, followed by PEX tubing. Slab will then be poured on top of this setup.

I've two concerns- one, no gravel under the insulation. This is a walk-out basement on a fairly steep hill, probably not the worst drainage scenario, and maybe a question for a different set of experts.

The radiant question is about 'slab temp sensors' Is this neccessary? I've seen them installed as an electrical apprentice, and can understand why one may want to know if the slab is too hot, too cold, or ramping slowly or quickly to temp.

If this would only benefit certain systems, or be critical for all radiant systems, I'd like to know before they pour the slab- I may install some conduit as insurance. Any hints on where to locate a sensor of this type in the slab would be welcome.

Thanks for any input-
    -Dylan
  • Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    depends....

I usually use a T'stat or RTU IF THERE WILL BE NO CONFLICT with other sources of heat. i.e. If you use only a T'stat and it's located close to Aunt Bessies Space Heater (or fancoil supplied area), it will not put heat in slab leaving the slab outside this area to cool down.

A slab sensor can be used to maintain a slab/surface temp without being overriden by other source.

hope this helped & didn't confuse....

Terry @ Frontier.

• Dylan Thomas
    Thanks much-

Terry, that was exactly the sort of info I was looking for, thanks. This zone should have no other heat sources in it, with the possible exception of sunlight coming through the sliders. That shouldn't prove to be a problem, though. It sounds like the slab sensor won't be needed here.

I'd still be curious to know the best way of roughing in a sensor before pouring the floor, just in case it ever comes up.

Thanks again-
    -Dylan
  • vaper barrier

I would reccomend a vaper barrier under the stryofoam. bob
  • Dylan Thomas
    Thanks everybody!

I met up with the homeowner today and he and I kicked all the suggestions around-

I doubt we'll do a slab temp sensor, but we might rough it in as mentioned in Terry's post.

The vapor barrier is something I forgot about, I'm sure we'll talk about that some more. Gravel looks moot as he's had a drain system installed around the entire exterior of the footings.

Thanks to all-

Dylan
  • Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    excellent on the

perimiter drainage, water traveling under the slab will increase your heat loss by about 40%. Paul
  • Dana Zaichkin_7
    Dana Zaichkin_7 Member Posts: 1
    slab sensor

Here's a rough-in I did prior to suspended slab. I may never use a slab sensor in this install, but it sure is easier to put it in now! I used 1/2 nonmetalic conduit, slightly reamed the bend and slipped in the copper stub with a little cement.

Best Regards

DZ
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    ditto!

on the vapor barrier! a rel good thing to have....how much is a rool of heavy mill plastic...kpc
This discussion has been closed.