Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hard water and septic systems ??

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
But then again alot of stuf is new to me.

I had a customer call and they would like their water checked for Hardness. He says they are having trouble with the septic and the company had told them that hardwater can create problems, and would like a water softener. I am sure with the chemistry going on a case could be made for this but would'nt you look for soap or chemicals going down the drain first ?

Our municiple water supply is not overly hard as a rule and has actually had a new system on line for about two years now.

HR, you allways have a good grasp of chemistry, is this a viable solution.

Sorry to stray from the heat.

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    calcium?

I cant hold a candle to HR but maybe I can help.

Calcium is only a problem where high heat or high evaporation is a problem. Calcium has reverse solubility which means the hotter the water the less calcium can stay in solution. Typically this plates out on heated surfaces or areas of high evaporation. I cant imagine what effect this might have on a septic system......

One thing to think about is that the softner will remove calcium, but it will also discharge large amounts of chlorides into the septic system when back wash and brine rinse take place.

I would need more info on what they say is the specific problem to offer any suggestions.

Scott
  • PJO_2
    PJO_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Scott,

If this is fed from municipal water it is very unlikely that it has high hardness unless it's supplied from wells.
    It is more likely that chemicals/abuse/etc. or the drain field itself is the problem.

If the water is very hard it would have a much worse effect on the plumbing fixtures, clothes and skin before the septic system. If they have a boiler you would have seen problems there as well I would think. A softener that is salt-based will have a detrimental effect on the septic if used heavily...which I don't recommend. Reducing the hardness to manageable levels of 50 to 75 ppm is fine...most public systems that are supplied by surface water is below that level.

Hope this helps. Take Care, PJO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
    Options
    Septically speaking

I've never heard of the hard water septic tank issue. Around here tanks are generaly concrete. As such, it seems calcium is in the concrete!

As Patrick states, the killers of bacteria needed in the tanks would, seems to me, be bleach and strong laundry soaps with bleach, anti bacterial soaps, etc which are becoming more common.

As with any thing in life (or septic tanks :) nothing in excess is good for you. It will always come down to how MUCH of the bad stuff you dump down the drain. I suspect any healthy tank can tolerate some abuse. If you use lots of bleach and dump lots of paint thinners down the septic....

I too agree 3 year or so pumping and inspections are a good idea. It's not a very expensive task, If you know where the tank is buried :) (I draw a map of the location right on my water heater for the next guy to use) I had mine pumped last year, only to discover the concrete baffle had broken off and fallen into the tank. I had to rig up a PVC tee arrangment inside the tank. Not a pleasent job, even for a plumber at heart PAH!

To me pumping and inspection is merely an insurance policy. Regardless of the fact that the tank may be healthy. A leach field plugged with solids or food disposal grindings, from a missing baffle, is also a real mess. Real hard to clean up. Another good reason to use Bio Clean products from time to time, in my opinion.

But, like most subjects, probably get a 50- 50 consensus on proper care.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Septics

I don't chime in much here as a learn more with my mouth shut and my ears open. I do a lot of septic related work, and work closely with 3 diffrent septic contractors and have never heard of the hard of hard water causing septic problems.What kind of problems are we talking about? If the tank is building up with heavy white chunks it is either, grease from the kitchen, or powdered soap. from either laundry or dishwaher.If tank is building up with a heavy black sludge, maybe the h.o. is using alot of bleach which will stop the bacteria break down in the tank.
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Thanks

> I don't chime in much here as a learn more with

> my mouth shut and my ears open. I do a lot of

> septic related work, and work closely with 3

> diffrent septic contractors and have never heard

> of the hard of hard water causing septic

> problems.What kind of problems are we talking

> about? If the tank is building up with heavy

> white chunks it is either, grease from the

> kitchen, or powdered soap. from either laundry or

> dishwaher.If tank is building up with a heavy

> black sludge, maybe the h.o. is using alot of

> bleach which will stop the bacteria break down in

> the tank.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Thanks

Or should I say TANKS !

Its seemed strange to me. I am going to meet with the HO and I'll tell you all what the problem is and the solution.

HR, you'd be shocked how many baffles we see broken off because they clog up to often. Pretty common for the plumbers and septic people to just snap em off if it becomes a nuisance.

Scott

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
    Options
    Sounds to me

like a fast talking softner salesman has planted this "hard water tank problem" seed in the homeowners mind :)

There is a whole industry, including trade mags that deal with septic tanks, pumper trucks, design, installation, etc, etc. They have a big, well attended trade show yearly. Called the Pumpers Show, or something like that. A web search could probably put you in contact with the folks that live and breath septic (pun intended)

As far as my opinions on septics,I'm just making stuff up as I go along :) Sound like Patrick has the most knowledge concerning wastewater dos and don'ts.

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.