Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

propane tank location

molly
molly Member Posts: 43
Evening all. I was wondering if any of you might know off hand or know where to get code information regarding propane tank installation locations. I'm looking for info that pertains to the State on NH. The tank is above ground 350 "water" gal. The specific question I have is, what if any is the required distance away from a neighboring property line must you be with your tank. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dana Zaichkin_8
    Dana Zaichkin_8 Member Posts: 1
    tank siting

I'm on the other side of the country, but in our county, tanks need to be 10' from property line and 20' from a structure. The county building dept (since you'd need a gas piping permit) or fuel supplier should have the info for you

Best Regards

DZ
  • flange
    flange Member Posts: 153

in addition, they also need to be x feet away from an electrical source. your potential supplier can come out and spot it for you, however most folks dont like where it has to go .
  • molly
    more info on tank location

the tank in question is already in place. the local lp co installed it today. it is my neighbor's tank. i believe the tank is actually ON MY PROPERTY. i'm getting my land surveyed to PROVE it asap. the guys house is 5' away from my line. this is no longer legal in my town but is grand fathered. the tank however is completely new. it was installed today and therefor must be installed by today's code. i'm fairly certain that we have a 10' setback for lp tanks. i just need to find proof by the way of documentation. i'm not getting any help from the local gas co because they are the ones who installed it. the property boundary is painfully obvious as they've placed the tank up against a long standing stockade fence (mine). I'm in the trade of plumbing and oil burner work. LP tank installation info i don't know. not trying to be a nag but this neighbor of mine has pushed me and pushed me and i think it's about time i stand up for myself. p.s. this guy is also our local town inspector, see what i'm up against?
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    gas tank clearances

Right on guys! NFPA 58 spells it out clear and simple.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • molly
    where can i get a copy of that page?

I have nfpa 54 in my desk. I don't have 58. I can't find mention of required setbacks for propane tanks in 54. As I don't get into tank installation, I'm not a gas co., I don't have NFPA 58. Can anyone help me out with a link or maybe even an email with that page? Pretty please? Thanks guys. You've been so helpfull already.
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Molly,

there are plenty of LP dealers in your area. Just check the yellow pages, find one and give them a call. Ask for the service manager and explain your problem. I'd be surprised if the good folks from the "Old Man" country wouldn't help.
  • molly
    I will do that Thankyou.

• Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    nfpa 58 appendix i

Tanks with a water capacity between 125-500 gal have to be 10' from bld, 10' from neareast buildable property line and 10' from an ignition source. Tanks with a water capacity less than 125 gal. only have to be 5' from a basement window and 10' from a source of combustion. they can go right up along side the house, and there is no property line requirement. The Buildable property line is the catch here, because if there are no buildable lines then technically the tank could go right on the line. I'd check that tanks DOT water capacity again, and make sure it is 300 gal water. I don't set tanks either but I do keep a copy of nfpa 58 because it has a lot of useful info regarding propane. you could go to nfpa.org and order a copy from them. hope this helps, Paul
  • oilwizard
    oilwizard Member Posts: 46
    a copy of the appendix should be in your in box

good luck
    Joe
  • molly
    thank you and good night

my email just went down. i'll try for it again in the A.M.
  • molly
    thanks for the info

now i'll just have to see what a "buildable property line" is.
  • GailNH
    GailNH Member Posts: 2
    Propane Tanks On Property Line NH

Hi Molly!

I am very interested in what you find out as I have an identical situation as yours!!  I have a neighbor that abandoned their property for over two years and was a former selectman in our town but had moved out of state.  They came back and informed me they wanted to cut down my trees and they were putting up a two story house (it had been a 32 foot trailer on a .25 lot and the oil tank was actually on my property.  He has pushed and pushed me and informed me he would do whatever he wanted and noone was going to contact me to let me know, "trust me" he said.  Sure enough he did what he wanted even though all was again codes and zoning laws.  His old college buddy is also the code inspector.  It has been one thing after another and I have now paid for a new survey of my property that cost me over $3000 and also paid to get a lawyer which I finally just stopped because of the financial burden and health problems that ensued as a result of the situation.  Every rule in the book has been thrown out and now in the last couple of months he had vertical LP tanks installed on my property line.  He moved the boundary markers from my surveyor and put up his own.  The line from the house to the tanks still hasn't been buried.  Where can I go to get solid proof that he isn't following laws regarding how far from the property line he has to be?  Thanks for listening and sorry to be so longwinded.
  • GailNH
    GailNH Member Posts: 2
    Propane Tanks On Property Line NH

Hi Molly!

I am very interested in what you find out as I have an identical situation as yours!!  I have a neighbor that abandoned their property for over two years and was a former selectman in our town but had moved out of state.  They came back and informed me they wanted to cut down my trees and they were putting up a two story house (it had been a 32 foot trailer on a .25 lot and the oil tank was actually on my property.  He has pushed and pushed me and informed me he would do whatever he wanted and noone was going to contact me to let me know, "trust me" he said.  Sure enough he did what he wanted even though all was against codes and zoning laws.  His old college buddy is also the code inspector.  It has been one thing after another and I have now paid for a new survey of my property that cost me over $3000 and also paid to get a lawyer which I finally just stopped because of the financial burden and health problems that ensued as a result of the situation.  Every rule in the book has been thrown out and now in the last couple of months he had vertical LP tanks installed on my property line.  He moved the boundary markers from my surveyor and put up his own.  The line from the house to the tanks still hasn't been buried.  Where can I go to get solid proof that he isn't following laws regarding how far from the property line he has to be?  Thanks for listening and sorry to be so longwinded.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Here are the rules

read it, there are exceptions in the text
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    NFPA 58

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=58&cookie_test=1

You need to check to see if NFPA 58 has been adopted by your State into the building codes or if your State Fire Marshal has adopted it. Your local LPG provider can be of assistance in this matter.

Once you have a legal survey, the plat should have been recorded at the courthouse with the legal description. If a neighbor is encroaching on your property or damaging your property, you can sue them either in small claims court or common pleas. If you cannot afford an attorney, you need to contact the bar association and see if they have other resources. You can represent yourself in small claims court but not in common pleas. You may also contact your local fire marshal if you feel there is a safety hazard.
This discussion has been closed.