Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waste Oil Boiler

Terry
Terry Member Posts: 186
In midst of designing Truck Maintenance Shop. Full Blown Radiant (luv it). Using a Nat GAs Boiler as a backup, The Customer is requesting a "used Oil" fired boiler.
This boiler shall burn regular heating oil + used transmission fluid and gear oil, etc.

Net Load is 650,000 BTU. (950-1000MBH Input)

Doe anyone know of a manufacturer/supplier that can provide some fast pricing? (Job closes in less than 48 Hours)

Any/ALL help is appreciated

Terry @ Frontier

<a href="http://www.frontiersupply.ca" target="_blank">Frontier Plbg & Heating Supply</a>

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588

You may want to give these folks a try?

http://www.cleanburn.com/

Clean Burn
    Leola, PA 17540
    (877) 216-0359

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Alan's got it

but even the folks at Cleanburn do not recommend using their product as the primary heat source.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Waste oil Boiler?

Even with this load being radiant you might find that you won't use much oil. I would consider using radiant as "back-up" and using waste oil "furnaces" as primary heat. This way if you produce allot of waste oil you will be able to get rid of it and heat for almost free. Plus remember in garages those "Big" doors suck a lot of heat when opened. Waste oil boilers are great for truck washers and other operation that use allot of hot water. Hope this helps! former cleanburn dealer John@Reliable
  • joel_14
    joel_14 Member Posts: 116
    clean burn

this company RULES the waste oil world the way Viessmann rules regular oil boilers. We've done and maintain several traditional hot air units from them. Thier boiler is the way to go but it should have a back up unit.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    What about Reznor?

Looks a lot like a Buderus to me. I have a customer that wants one installed in a diesel repair shop.

We have a Reznor dealer locally that will set it up and maintain it, since I know zip about oil fired :) He mainly doer Reznor waste oil unit heaters, however.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Hotrod, those are a good unit also,

but the biggest problem I see is they won't use enough oil with a radiant system. The one thing to remember is you are trying to get rid of waste oil. And with Big trucks that take gallons instead of quarts supply will out pace demand. Now you have to store it or in some cases pay to get rid of it. John@Reliable
  • Howsabout

doing a BIG service hot water machine so you can wash big trucks for free.

And maybe while you're at it, throw a bunch of tube in the floor of the truck wash to dry the floor after use. A dry floor is a safe floor after all. And a clean truck is an efficient vehicle.

Theres lots of ways to use heat even during the summer. You just have to know where to find it.

Yes HR, that is a Buderus. I met a guy at the RPA show who had a burner that attaches to a big Bluederus. Two words for ya. "Maintenance Intensive".

If you ignore them, they can turn into a monumental environmental disaster. Slicks and all.

ME
  • Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    Excellent help as usual

Well you guys have done it again. Thanks for all the input. The folks @ Cleanburn are being very helpful and it appears I'll get my proposal in on time.

We'll be using a Nat gas Boiler as backup when waste oil supply low or if waste-oil boiler goes off line.

We'll be using the boiler primarily for Radiant Slab. Not to say we couldn't pull some heat for wash wands, etc.

This is my first experience with "used oil". Looking forward to doing my bit to help keep that nasty fluid out of our water tables & land fills.

Thanks again guys..

"Everything's better... wet."

Terry @ Frontier
  • EnergyLogic
    EnergyLogic Member Posts: 1
    Resource for Waste Oil Heating System

Hello -

Please check out the waste oil heating systems manufactured by EnergyLogic, [url=http://www.energylogic.com]www.energylogic.com when doing your evaluations. Because I work for EnergyLogic, instead of writing why I think you should consider our equipment, I'll refer you to this link where a customer discusses his experience.

[url=http://wetheadmedia.com/energy-logic-waste-oil-boilers-buyers-guide/]http://wetheadmedia.com/energy-logic-waste-oil-boilers-buyers-guide/

Please also give us a call - 800-335-3092.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Secondary System

I think waste oil heaters are great for a large shop with lots of waste oil .. Most of the shops with them know it takes extra care to keep them running. Bleeding the system of air is always a long process .. Draining away water from the storage tank is a must do.. And clean them out at the end of the season is a must .. Most don't vac out the ash until the start of the season. That acidic ash will rot out any steel heat exchanger in a few years .. And they collect bags of ash over a season .. Air leaks are a big problem if you have any in the fuel supply. Wish they made a tigerloop for waste oil heaters ... Venting is a concern with a shop ... Any exhust fan can burn out the wires and hoses on the draw assemble in a few seconds ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.