Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vision Piping Schematics

Options
Tom Hughes
Tom Hughes Member Posts: 21
The Vision piping schematics don't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you run one primary loop at 140-180 degrees, and have both the Superstor tank and hydronic heating loop on their own secondary pumps decoupled from the primary loop? That way you can serve both loads at the same time and each seconday loop can have whatever temperature it needs. What am i missing?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Options
    Sounds OK to me

As long as the indirect load added to the rest of the load, is less than or equal to the boiler OUTPUT size. If the indirect puts you over, in load size, the boiler water temperature won't catch up, till something satisfies.

If the indirect needs fast recovery at all load conditions, prioritize the water heater pump.

Noel
  • Tom Hughes
    Options
    The Indirect gets priority

But what if I'm doing laundry, running the dishwasher, etc and its cold as hell outside?

Thanks Noel.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Vision piping

Simple--Efficiency! Why heat up a primary loop any hotter than the current load requires. Wasted BTUs.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Options
    You'll get pink wrinkly fingers.

Seriously, most priority controls can be set up so that the heat will run after a preset water heater run time, like 30 minutes or so.

I had a relief valve open and stick open on an indirect, once. It was minus 20 out, and the house almost froze because the indirect had priority, and the control did NOT have this feature.

THAT house won't run on priority ever again. Good thing for the switch that allowed me to choose "No Priority".

Noel
  • Tom Hughes
    Options
    Good point!

But in many cases I have multiple boilers. Gets more tricky and tradional primary/secondary would seem to be favorable?
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Priority

I have yet to see an instance where a home became uncomfortable while a priority indirect called for heat.

The recovery of the indirect will exceed the demand and it will staisfy relatively quickly, long before the house gets cold.

If I am not mistaken, the Vision control will also kick the idirect out of priority if the demand is not satisfied within a certain amount of time.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Vision cascading control

Rumor has it that that function is coming. You didn't hear it from me.
  • Matt Connolly
    Matt Connolly Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Mark, I know just such a house...

where there was so much glass and it was high in the mountains - when the MZ went to recover the indirect for more than 20 minutes the house would drop in temp noticeably to the point where the HO kept having the tech come out to tweak it. A 15 minute interupt relay did the trick.
    Matt
This discussion has been closed.