Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Motor Starter

Options
Paul Rohrs_2
Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
I am working on a 15,000 sqft bay. All one zone, 1 temp, VSIP with outdoor reset. I have 3 manifold locations that will be piped in reverse return so that one large pump, (a PL-55) will handle the load. This pump is 25 HP and by my literature, a simple single pump relay would not handle the load and overdraw on amps. I am thinking motor starter. I am NOT going to be the electrician on this job but would like to know in advance what to expect with the wiring.

Yes, I have thought about using 3 smaller pumps, 1 for each manifold, and I still might do that but am wondering about the previous and how simple will it be?.....

I am looking for a recommendations, yea or nay. Should I listen to the small voice of common sense that tells me to stick with the 3 pumps, or push the rather small envelope of my mind and dare to use a motor starter? Ideas or templates to follow on wiring?

Thanks in advance.

PR

Comments

• David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Starter

Does the one pump not have internal motor protection? That is the only reason I can think of for using a starter. I would not be afraid of a properly sized and installed starter.

David
  • Don_4
    Don_4 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Pump

As already stated you do not require a motor starter unless the pump does not have internal protection (very rare unles very large pumps). All you require is a larger relay (contactor) which is capable of handling the load.
  • Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Options
    Pump Relay

I have searched a bit and found that (TACO, B&G, Etc)standard pump relays are all rated up to 13HP. I thought that the 25HP PL-55 would be just a bit much to try and handle.

I have not seen a pump relay to handle a 12HP or more. Any model numbers or manufacturers you can recommend?

PR
  • Jon_2
    Jon_2 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    pump relays

Any definite purpose relay just about will work. I would use a two pole for single phase or a three pole for three phase, rated for HVAC (very common) and just pick out one rated for 20 Amps and what ever coil voltage you want to suit the application. Any refrigeration supply house would have them and they should not cost more than thirty bucks for the two pole and forty for the three phase. Remember they have to be in some sort of enclosure. Jon
This discussion has been closed.