Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Checking for leaks

Options
Pete Novak
Pete Novak Member Posts: 23
I'm in the process of tearing up an old concrete/wood floor that appears to have some single pipe steam pipes running through. The floor and hence system has to be upwards of 80 years old, so I was thinking if the floor is out, should I change the pipes, too? Once I lay the cement, I don't want to "un-lay" it to change some pipes. Is an external inspection fine, is an inside bore scope necessary, or should I just replace them anyways? There's about forty feet of 1-1/4 pipe to replace.

Comments

• Pete Novak
    Options

I'm in the process of tearing up an old concrete/wood floor that appears to have one single pipe steam pipe running through. The floor and hence system has to be upwards of 80 years old, so I was thinking if the floor is out, should I change the pipes, too? Once I lay the cement, I don't want to "un-lay" it to change some pipes. Is an external inspection fine, is an inside bore scope necessary, or should I just replace them anyways? There's about forty feet of 1-1/4 pipe to replace. Thanks.

• Pete Novak
    Options

I'm in the process of tearing up an old concrete/wood floor that appears to have one single pipe steam pipe running through. The floor and hence system has to be upwards of 80 years old, so I was thinking if the floor is out, should I change the pipes, too? Once I lay the cement, I don't want to tear it up to change some pipes. Is an external inspection fine, is an inside bore scope necessary, or should I just replace them anyways? There's about forty feet of 1-1/4 pipe to replace. Thanks.
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options

> pull it out. Dan

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 174&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

Pete, I would bet that 40" of pipe is the cheapest insurance you've ever bought (or sold) Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Change it!

Pete, I would bet that 40" of pipe is the cheapest insurance you've ever bought. (or sold) Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • jeff cook
    jeff cook Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Replace them while the floor is open

one pipe system needs to have a clear path for the condenced water to return back to the boiler. After 80 years I bet if you did look at the ID you would find at least one third of the pipe's inside wall has deposits and has heavy oydidation.
  • J.C.A._2
    J.C.A._2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree

May as well save yourself some headaches down the line .The real reason for me would be ,why take the chance ? It's open, use the time and space to do it right .

I've found too many lines that look fine but the goo is the only thing holding the water in . Good luck . Chris
  • Pete Novak
    Options
    consider it done

Alright. I'm going to do it. If you can, check my latest post for the details on this project. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.