Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

First Oil Boiler... HELP!

Options
Richard Miller_2
Richard Miller_2 Member Posts: 139
a Buderus with Riello it will be. Got the approval for it.

Comments

• Richard Miller_2
    Options
    OK guys... be easy on me...

Everywhere I have lived they talk about the people that heat with oil in a gee whiz tone of voice.

But now I gotta do one in Alaska with oil. Buderus it will be. Which burner?

Can I do it? What do I need to know to set it up? What instruments do I need? (I can bill them to the job unless they are over 1500 bucks)

Where can I learn what I need to know.

Or am I in over my head on this one?

I am a pro and can learn on my own well. But I want this done right. Help please!

Thanks.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Easy...

Take a deep breath...Alan Mercurio's www.OilTechTalk.com website and George Lanthier's www.FireDragonEnt.com are great resources for info. RW Beckett makes excellent oil burners, but I don't know whose burner a Buderus may come with. If the burner has a Honeywell primary, it will be either an R8184G or an R7184 of some variety, and I can help you with that. Bacharach & Testo are excellent sources for combustion testing instruments (sorry, I don't have their websites). Feeling better?
  • Richard Miller_2
    Options
    thanks

I will dive into this like everything else in life... headfirst! If I sink, I sink. But I have a hunch with the help of guys like you I will swim to the top and do a couple of backflips out of the water!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Those links are ON oil tech talk's front page.

http://disc.server.com/Indices/24736.html

Noel
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Burners

I use Riello's on the Buderus boilers we install. Like'em a LOT! You really want to consider what brands are availabe locally as far as parts go. It's bad news to not be able to round up a set of electrodes or whatever on a -15* day. You'll need a combustion analyzer to properly tune any oil burner. I sell Testo so I'm a bit "biased", sorta, maybe....kinda. The 325 is an excellent meter that will do almost anything you'll normally run into for residential service. The Bacharach equivalent would be the Fyrite 125, I think. Both will do what you need done.

Have fun up there!
  • Richard Miller_2
    Options
    Just found out

That the local Buderus dealer supples Riello! Am on the phone with them now. God, I love the internet!
  • Richard Miller_2
    Options
    rough idea on pricing?

e-mail me if you want it private. thanks
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Return Flame

Don't think I'd put a Beckett on any return flame boiler. Riello or Heatwise only.

Jed
  • Tom_10
    Tom_10 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    You're not

in over your head at all. The boiler is the same so approach it as that, just another boiler installation. Oil is ONLY THE FUEL choice. If you can run gas line, oil lines will be a piece of cake. NO COMPRESSION fitts on the oil lines. Flare 'em. If you are doing the yearly service, or the service in general, just be sure of parts availability. Even if you aren't doing the service, you'd still want to sell them something thats easy to get parts for.I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... Buderus and Riello are a good combo. And you said you never did oil. SURE !
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Check the codes

I don't know how the codes are in Alaska but in Mass. you need an oil burner license to pull a permit on an install. If this is the case, you can get in touch with a reputable oil dealer in the area. I do this for a plumber and a sheet metal company in my area. I can give them a good price because I usually get a customer out of the deal and we end up sending a lot of work each other's way. The oil dealer can tell you how to deal with code issues regarding the tank, oil line and wiring. Let him do the initial firing, efficiency test, and pull the permit for you. You will probably get some radiant work out of it and if he impresses you and your client, he'll get an oil account and some future work.
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Alaskan Buderus

Amen to Riello with Buderus. Can I suggest you contact the local Buderus rep to help you set up yor first one. Our First one was a five section 315 and they sent someone from the area headquarters to help us put it together and the rep came out and set up the Ecomatic for us. Absolutely spectacular service!!! Most reps will be gald to assist, especially with your first one (cause maybe you'll put in some more)
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    HERE'S A GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!

If you will pay my airfare roundtrip and lodging and take me salmon fishing, I'll come out there and install that baby for FREE!!!

WHADDAYA SAY!?!?!??!?!?!?

Seriously, all the other post so far have been spot on. We use Riello burners on the Buderus boilers we install and I have NEVER had a problem with them.

Your customer is gonna' LOVE YOU!!

The Wall is here 24/7 if you need help.

Now when should I expect those plane tickets?

Mark H
  • Richard Miller_2
    Options
    WOW!

Thanks for all your help. I got several e-mails from guys IN Alaska. Now they could be pissed I am coming up there to do a job. But no. They were just offering their assistance. What a great bunch we have here!

Never saw plumbers help each other out like that and I am one. Sure we have a few like this over at the PDL but 17 people e-mailing and posting on ONE request? Awesome.

I am honored and humbled to call you all friends.

Richard Miller
  • chris smith
    chris smith Member Posts: 39
    Options
    oil boiler

if your going to direct vent i would go with the carlin if its into a chimney a riello, that said go fire dragon 's sight and get his mass. code book, they have some of the toughest laws in the country regarding oil installations read it and follow it and you will be way ahead of the curve, your install will be safe,and well designed. i think you will enjoy learning about working with oil after all learning is what its all about

chris smith

paradise porter maine
    ps don't forget your osv oil saftey valve

This discussion has been closed.