Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbing for Social Justice

Options
SS Minnow
SS Minnow Member Posts: 1
A thousand thanks and hallelujahs for the crew that came out this Saturday. It was a huge amount of fun, and we've got showers and cooking to boot!

Needless to say, anybody's got a place to stay in Cambridge if they need one.

All the best,
Stephen

Comments

• K-Man
    K-Man Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Plumbing for Social Justice

This past weekend Dan and a team of great guys (Chuck, Paul, Gary, Cheryl, and Nadine) made something of miracle proportion become a reality. Hey, what's up wetheads! My name is Mark Kravatz, but Dan has taken it on his own guru authority to call me K-Man, so that'll do.

On Saturday, Dan and the guys came to Cambridge to fix up this old 1800's Colonial house. It was awesome! There was tons of music, donuts, starbucks coffee, great stories, and of course Corona and a couple bottles of red wine. (Thanks to heatermon who sent those. And Yes, I agree that the perfect woman is one who picks the corona and the tequila!)
    It was overall a great time.

I learned four new things this weekend. First, plumbers are by far one of the most important people in this world. We'd be screwed without you guys. Thanks for everything. Secondly, I learned to never put things down the toilet that could one day incriminate me. Thirdly, that I should tell my female friends to hide their sex toys better for those of you guys who happen to get a kick out of finding things like that and can be often found wearing customer's underwear on your head for a good laugh. Lastly, I learned that plumbers have the ability to support and work towards social change. You guys know about things such as heating and cooling efficiency and how we could better effectively use our money in the world in support of that. You're sociologists in that you relate with every type of person and see all their weirdness and peculiarities. You're scientists in that you know how gravity, temperature, and water lives and breathes. You also have the ability to come together as a community, volunteer some time as we did this past weekend, and have great times of laughs, friendship, and camaraderie. And in esssence that's the most important thing in life. You're really important people and I know that in my political and community organizing life that wetheads will be one of the first people I will call when it comes to any questions of science and technology. You guys don't just talk about it, you live it!

On one last note, I just want to pesonally thank Dan. As you all know this guy is amazing. Did you know that he's a reference for the US department of energy? The funny thing is that Dan doesn't care about that. After working with him I learned that Dan's first occupation is not plumbing. Dan is a teacher, mentor, priest, father. Whatever term you want to use it's all the same. Dan has revolutionized the plumbing industry not because of his ability to write a book about how to lay pipe but because he can take plumbing and use it as a tool to teach about life and to bring people together. In my opinion he's up there with some of the best intellectuals, philosophers, theologians, and sociologists in the world, and I'd say even more so because he lives it practically. Dan's vision for the project this past weekend was not to just fix a water heater and some sinks but he saw beyond it in that first, he was supporting young people to do good work, secondly, he was helping out his daughter who is more important to him than anything. Lastly, that it was a way of bringing people together who share a common interest (plumbing and heating) and build friendship and a stronger community in the plumbing and heating world as well as the larger world. Dan teaches that we all have a passsion for something and that we all seek a supporting community. Some use church to do that. Some use a local gym or coaching their kids little league team to find a community. Dan has found a way to do that through plumbing! I think that it's appropriate to thank you for doing that Dan. You're a good person who cares about people. Your ability to teach, and care is unprecedented. Thanks so much.

Well, thanks so much for taking the time to read this far whoever you are. Keep doing good work! You have the power to make miracles as we saw this past weekend.

K-Man
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    psssst k-man

( hey over here, away from the other guys, for future reference, what Dan does is heating. Some of us do plumbing and heating but Dans place in history is Heating. O.K. )

Hey K-Man , your Dans a great guy and has a amazing abilty to draw together some of the best in this industry. Glad you had a good time. Wish I could have been there. I was the one Chuck Shaw called from the bar. Its allways great to be paged from a cocktail party and the voice on the phone says " HEY SCOOOTTIIII YYYEEHHHHH HHHOOOO ".

Glad you guys had fun.

Oh by the way ' Heellloooo Kravitz !!!

Chowdahead

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Just

stay away from my women, K-Man! ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • K-Man
    K-Man Member Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks

Thanks Chowdahead...We missed ya man. wish you could have joined us. I know that it's a big deal that plumbing and heating are two seperate things, but I quote Chuck, "Kravatz, you're a ...!" I think it was right before he called you and left you that message. So I'll just take that as my excuse for not knowing that there's a difference and that Dan is better known heating than plumbing.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Thanks

for the fine hospitality and all the laughs, Stephen. Best of luck with the program!
    Retired and loving it.
  • paul lessard_2
    paul lessard_2 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    OK K-man

I heard nothing about undergarments on heads,chuck must of told that one when i was checking the leaks @ the urinal. nice meeting ya and i've got to know ...are you gonna go my way...............
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Scott....

...consider yourself lucky that you weren't in the bar with Shaw - he'd-a-been stealin' your pen to stir his drink with!!!!

Starch
  • Wordna
    Wordna Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank You

I'm not really getting all of these inside jokes, but I would like to thank the team of fine people who were so kind enough to provide their services to the Institute. Your help is very much appreciated.

Wordna M Warren
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Yes K-MAN

we feel the same way about the man - he is a treasure! MAD DOG

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • jaime
    jaime Member Posts: 1
    Options
    thank you times ten

I want to add another thank you to the growing list of appreciation! It was a fun day, full of inspiration and great stories. Your help really saved us big bucks and allowed us to continue the restoration process of a formerly underappreciated house. Now it is closer to ready for our Summer Institute and future programs and gatherings! Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.