Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

COMPRESSED AIR PIPES

Options
Tony Conner
Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
Lots of information on using compressed air effectively and efficiently. I didn't see anything on piping code requirements, though. A lot of people get confused by the two aspects of "design". One is to ensure that a given system will function as required. The other is code compliance. These are very much NOT the same set of calculations. The code folks don't care if you're running a 2" line, but really need a 4". They don't even look at things like that. They only care about the safety aspect. The flip side are the people who specialize in the function aspect. They can lay out systems that work great, and save you lots of money. But most of them have no clue about things like piping codes.

Comments

• Cesar Villavicencio
    Cesar Villavicencio Member Posts: 2
    Options
    COMPRESSED AIR PIPES

Does anybody could tell me what material do you recommend for air compressed lines in industrial applications, say workshops?

As far as I read, compressed air carries oil - coming from the compressor- and when it mixes with condensate it will produce an acid mixture capable of destroying the galvanised protection ( in case that galvanised pipe is being used) and flakes of this protection will obstruct filters and valves downstream. Is this true?

Do you know which pipe material is the most convenient for industrial compressed air applications?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Cesar Villavicencio
  • Cesar Villavicencio
    Cesar Villavicencio Member Posts: 2
    Options
    COMPRESSED AIR PIPES

Does anybody could tell me what material do you recommend for air compressed lines in industrial applications, say workshops?

As far as I read, compressed air carries oil - coming from the compressor- and when it mixes with condensate it will produce an acid mixture capable of destroying the galvanised protection ( in case that galvanised pipe is being used) and flakes of this protection will obstruct filters and valves downstream. Is this true?

Do you know which pipe material is the most convenient for industrial compressed air applications?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Cesar Villavicencio

P.S. Please correct my e-mail address, this is avsingen@uio.satnet.net
  • Kritz_3
    Kritz_3 Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Compressed Air

What will be the use of the air? Pneumatic tools, industrial controls, HVAC pneumatic controls? If it is being used for any type of controls you will need a refrigarated dryer and filter(oil and particulate). You should use an automatic (electronic) condensate drain on the lowest point on the receiver tank of the compressor, that will take care of most of the condensate. Use black,galv,or copper if the budget allows.
    Hope I was of some help.

Steve.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    Cesar

is from South America. He emailed me this question, which I couldn't answer, but I knew you guys could.

How about this Wall?
    Retired and loving it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Other choices

Copper seems to be the most popular in my area, type L. Plenty of schedule 40 threaded steel pipe systems around, also.

Another consideration, I believe Kitec has a special pex, aluminum, pex tube specfically for compressed air lines.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Richard Miller_2
    Richard Miller_2 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    is it

a different pipe than the h2o piping? I thought not but...
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    It has to be piped right

Assumeing you will run the main over head. To ensure good clean quality air to the point of use run your distribution mains so water and oil will flow to a drain tee, like condensate in a steam line. Pipe a full size tee down, then reduce to 3/4" for a drain line and put a ball valve or automatic drain on the end. The air lines to your machines or controls are tapped off the TOP of your main. Each "drop" will go up, have two elbows, and then drop to the point of use. By tapping off the top of the main you are useing gravity to keep the junk out of your equipment. Your main is a big oil and water separator if it is done right. Also, be generous with the pipe size if velocity is low your pressure drop will be low and equipment won't starve for air, and the air will be cooler.
    Best wishes with the project.
  • Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    air lines

> Assumeing you will run the main over head. To

> ensure good clean quality air to the point of use

> run your distribution mains so water and oil will

> flow to a drain tee, like condensate in a steam

> line. Pipe a full size tee down, then reduce to

> 3/4" for a drain line and put a ball valve or

> automatic drain on the end. The air lines to your

> machines or controls are tapped off the TOP of

> your main. Each "drop" will go up, have two

> elbows, and then drop to the point of use. By

> tapping off the top of the main you are useing

> gravity to keep the junk out of your equipment.

> Your main is a big oil and water separator if it

> is done right. Also, be generous with the pipe

> size if velocity is low your pressure drop will

> be low and equipment won't starve for air, and

> the air will be cooler. Best wishes with the

> project.

the lines should be brazed
  • Tony Conner
    Options
    Air Line Material

Ordinary carbon steel pipe is usually fine for most compressed air lines. Sch 40 is fine for typcial industrial air pressures, and A53B is much better than A53F. 2" and under are normally screwed. 2-1/2" and over are typically welded, or Victaulic.

If you've got so much water in your system that you need to consider galvanized or copper, there are problems back in the compressor room that should be fixed. Galvanized pipe is exactly the same grade as carbon steel, it just been dipped. There have been cases of the galvanizing breaking down over time, and little bits of it plugging orifices, etc., even in systems with dry air. On those systems that use copper (normally only required where very high quality instrument air is needed), the joints need to be silver soldered by somebody licenced specifically for that work. (It's the same type of licence that pressure welders need.) Do not soft solder copper air lines, as there's no licence that I know of to qualify this procedure, and if for no other reason, the joints will fail in a building fire situation.
  • Tony Conner
    Options
    Air Line Material

Ordinary carbon steel pipe is usually fine for most compressed air lines. Sch 40 is good for typcial industrial air pressures (100 to 150 PSIG or so), and A53B is much better than A53F. 2" and under are normally screwed. 2-1/2" and over are typically welded, or Victaulic.

If you've got so much water in your system that you need to consider galvanized or copper, there are problems back in the compressor room that should be fixed. Galvanized pipe is exactly the same grade as carbon steel, it just been dipped. There have been cases of the galvanizing breaking down over time, and little bits of it plugging orifices, etc., even in systems with dry air. On those systems that use copper (normally only required where very high quality instrument air is needed), the joints need to be silver soldered by somebody licenced specifically for that work. (It's the same type of licence that pressure welders need.) Do not soft solder copper air lines, as there's no licence that I know of to qualify this procedure, and if for no other reason, the joints will fail in a building fire situation.

It never hurts to check with your local inspection authority to make sure that what you're planning is approved by them for the application. It's very disappointing to find out that the installation you've just completed needs to be torn out and re-done because it doesn't meet code.
  • flange
    flange Member Posts: 153
    Options

talk about a can of worms, worked for major contriol manuf for many years(the red one), now work for the other one (blue). commercial and industrial apps. air lines are installed in various types of piping, however most sytems ive seen that were installed after about 1950 are all copper. have most running at 100 psig, some higher. NONE of these were brazed that ive ever seen. as far as oil, water are concerned, it depends on your app. for control apps, definitely need to get the oil and water out. for air tools, some of those require oilers added, some dont. drains on low points should be installed and USED. for more detailed info you could contact ingersol rand or equal.
  • Tony Conner
    Options
    Lots And Lots...

...of air lines here are soft soldered copper too. The joints don't meet ASME pressure piping code standards, and never did. Nobody cares, of course, until there's an accident. Then, to the building owner's surprise, THEY'RE the ones that get charged. Not the contractor, designer, vendor of various bits, etc. Just the owner. But you can bet the first call he makes will be to his lawyer, to see how fast he can sue everybody that was ever involved. This is a BIG can of worms.
  • Bob Morrison_3
    Bob Morrison_3 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    good compressed air energy references

The industry manufacturers and the DOE have assembled useful information on compressed air design, analysis and performance:

http://www.knowpressure.org

Bob
This discussion has been closed.