Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another GE off the floor

Options
how many of these are still out there , running in Levittown , Long Island . The upstairs had a circulator and zone valve at the boiler - not sure why they needed the zone valve .

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Its a little challenging

trying to figure out the best way to install the 2 circs , flowvalves , LWCO and feeder , and make them accesible to service .

I love it when the customer says it runs alot quieter - even with the GE boiler cover off .
  • Jim S
    Jim S Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Nice work Ron

As always it`s amazing what you guys have to deal with in these homes spacewise.

Are these the worst case scenarios or are there other types which you dread more than this set up?

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    as per usual...

nice work...ron. They probably use a circ. and a zone valve on one zone because they were having phantom flow problems...kpcPS ..did you wire that for Cold start to increce the efficiency???? :-) kpc
  • oilwizard
    oilwizard Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't you just love

where they stick boilers, nice job Ron.
    Joe
  • John Mills_3
    John Mills_3 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Question...

Were all the origial Levitt houses GE oil boilers? Is gas available now and are people switching over or all staying oil?
  • Unknown
    Options
    This one is the worst type

to replace , in my opinion . Its mainly a 1 man job , just like the other types , but you're working 3 feet of the floor all day . Thanks Jim .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Actually , these boilers

come up from cold to 180 in less than 5 minutes . But thats still way too long to wait for a shower , or to wash your face in a sink . Not to mention what would happen to the rubber gaskets holding it together . Thanks Kevin .
  • Unknown
    Options
    There were 2 styles of Levitt houses

The ranch house had 2 types of boilers - the GE off the floor , and it also has a Low York on the floor in the kitchen . The other style house , the Cape , has a Tall York under the stairs . With gas , its hit and miss in Levittown . My block doesnt have gas , but a few lanes right off of mine have it . I havent seen any houses switched over to gas yet , but I've heard that they're trying to push it here . And I do see some gas meters here and there .
  • Unknown
    Options
    This aint the worst place

Levitt built homes all over the island . This one is a development in Medford . This is right in the kitchen .
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Nice job as always Ron !

I love these for "night no heat calls" John@Reliable
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    Ron I have to ask...

what do you do about combustion/ make up air? How tight are those "boxes"? In some of my "tighter" oil installs w/ Riellos I have cut a dryer boot in and run flex to a intake hood....none of my installs were anywhere as tight as this one? just a thought...keep up the good work...kpc
  • Unknown
    Options
    The covers

arent tight . Theres a gap at the top and the sides , and theres a hole cut out to run pipes underneath . We did have major sooting problems with the QB180 burner that came with these boilers , but since we switched to the F3 and the short blast tube , they run very clean .
This discussion has been closed.