Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water feeder recomendation needed

Mike R._2
Mike R._2 Member Posts: 16
My current house is going to become a rental. The incoming tenant has said he is not a knobs and valves kind of guy. I have to have a water feeder added onto the 1 pipe steam system. Would you get rid of the Model 67 LWCO and add a combination feeder/cutoff?

Or keep the 67 and add just a water feeder, mechanical or electric?

Or add the combination feeder to the 67 to have dual cut offs?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Mike: we don't recommend water feeders at all.............

due the all too frequent calls we get on feeders that overfeed and flood the whole system ,and then the house...wood floors don't like water. However, I understand the need when the landlord is absentee. I would definitely leave the # 67 (asssumuing she's working) and add a probe type too. The double protection will give you peace of mind - especially when the tenant does not want to get involved. I would add A separate feeder, but have it cleaned and checked EVERY season. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike R._2
    Mike R._2 Member Posts: 16

Mad dog, thanks for the quick response.
    The #67 works, I was religious about blowing it down and I will emphasize that with the tenant.
    I am going to call a contractor to do the feeder install, but I wanted to know what to ask for.

• We have worked in quite a few rentalsd

> Mad dog, thanks for the quick response. The #67

> works, I was religious about blowing it down and

> I will emphasize that with the tenant. I am

> going to call a contractor to do the feeder

> install, but I wanted to know what to ask for.

• We have worked in quite a few rentals

where there was a 67 , and noone blew it down for years . For peace of mind , I might think about changing out the 67 and going with 2 probe LWCOs . Theres no blowing down needed with these boys . You could add an auto feeder to it also . We use one that has a big delay built in so it wont flood the boiler if condensate is still in the system somewhere . Using the feeder with the probes , its critical that someone checks them once a year , like Mad Dog said , flooding a house aint a pretty picture .

We also have used the combo LWCO-feeder , model number 47-2 . This one has to be blown down once a week like a 67 , and theres a greater potential of flooding becuase it feeds in water very fast . Good luck .
This discussion has been closed.