Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Met a legend today

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
I had the pleasure of visiting with **** Sieb, the owner of Sieb Plumbing-Heating-Air in Monroe, Michigan today (near the Ohio border). Sieb is the oldest continuously owned plumbing and heating business in the U.S., having been founded by the great-grandfather in 1868.

I felt like a little kid listening to stories that a Dad would tell. **** is the former Mayor of his town, a cornerstone in the community and used to drink whiskey with LBJ and Hubert Humphrey. He is the type of person you are thankful for meeting -- because there are so few like him left around. He doesn't use a cell phone ("I know where I'm goin' and people know they can reach me at the customer's house") and said he will never have an e-mail address ("Waste of time).

He is 72 years old and said he will work until he dies. His son works with him and will continue on the name.

This was one of those special moments that gives journalists like myself goosebumps. I was interviewing a living legend.

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    I'm envious John................................................

I worked for a shop in Manhattan (NYC of course - the only real Manhattan - It ain't Kansas!!) A. Mc Phee and Son, I believe they started 1875 or so...still goin, but no family involved...man I thought they were an established shop!!!! Sipped whiskey with Big hitters...those were the days - even liberals like Humphrey drank like a man. Are you going to do an article John???? Hope so... Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Oh yeah

Article? Hell, I could write a book...

...but I'll start small and work my way up. Keep an eye out in da' News.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    an open book

I got a chance to sit around with one of my uncles and drink some wild turkey, while he told storys of growing on my small town, the war, and the navy. He was in the navy air force during WWII.

Older people are a wealth of knowledge if we can just sit still long enough to listen.

Should be good story John.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    U.S.S. Indianapolis

I recall meeting and writing about a survivor of the U.S.S. Indianapolis sinking from WWII where 1200 men went into the water and only 300 came out several days later. Talk about living history!
  • Hey Just how old is OLD!!!

What is the defining age as too old. I feel like I resemble some of the remarks in this post.

My kids and grand kids are always asking me to sit down and tell stories about when I was a boy and my exploits in the past. I guess I must be getting OLD!!!

When I proposed to my wife in 1959 (married in 1960) I asked her in this manner, " I can not promise you anything but that it will be exciting". It will be 43 years this September and we both have a lot of exciting stories to tell. I guess we are both getting OLD!!!

I really do not feel old so maybe I am not OLD yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    old is purely perspective.

what i call the young guys, (the apprentices), think i'm old..the guy i like to sit with at the plumbers meetings who was in the invasion of normandy thinks i'm just a kid...i like sitting next to him..hehe..guess they are both right.. glad to hear of a life long marriage..i hope it lasts forever...the way it should be..
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    My Old Boss

Use to call the young apprentice's "boy. hey boy get over here ". He was 62.

We were at a job where the owner was 93. He stood at the top of the stairs and called to my boss " Hey, boy, come up here ".

You should have seen my boss's smile. He was 31 years younger than the home owner, and was just a boy to him.

It all relative.

Scott

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Yes.....and the ones that made it in to the water....

had to deal with a school of sharks that attacked - very bad way to go. mad dog

This discussion has been closed.