Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How much does gravity effect boilers?

Options
From Discover Magazine.... http://www.discover.com/science_news/newsflash/gthere.html?article=news_water.html

NEWS FLASH:

Weightless Water World
By Lauren Gravitz

Astronaut Donald Pettit dipped a wire loop in water, intending merely to prepare for an experiment aboard the International Space Station, and got a glimpse at the remarkable behavior of water under weightless conditions. On Earth, water molecules would cling across the loop for just a fraction of a second before gravity would pull them down. In space, Pettit found that surface tension can hold films of pure water in place for 12 hours at a time. When he applied drops of food coloring (above), he was able to observe complex currents within the film, driven by temperature differences or even the energy from a flashlight beam. Further studies of this interaction between fluid physics and surface tension could aid engineering applications back on Earth, for instance by revealing how metals interact when welded together.

Comments

• bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    And Once Again~~~~~~

Noel has reminded us of how much we do not know. We being mankind. With this kind of thing, going on why does man have to fight wars? There is infinate knowledge to be found and understood and mankind has to kick each others backsides for entertainment. Collectively mankind has a big problems with loose screws!
    IMHO bigugh
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    How much does surface tension affect hydronics...

...might be the more relavent question considering we're pretty much "stuck" with gravity here on earth.

Imagine that film around every part of a system and you'll really understand how corrosion/deposits/pitting start to "drag" at a system and how even with new, smooth pipes much of the effort of a circulator goes into overcoming the tension itself.

I'd guess that NASA already knows how much surface tension adds to the circulation equation by subtracting out the energy required to move only the mass of water--surely they have circulating water in the shuttle somewhere...

Does anyone else see a fantastically colored, crested bird belching green smoke in the picture?

INCREDIBLE PHOTO! Thanks Noel.
  • PJO_2
    PJO_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Neat...

Both the original message and the reply.

The original question...gravity affects a cast iron boiler more than a Munchkin - Badda Bing.

The second question...the rules are sooooo different in space. Hopefully we will learn exponentially as we go on...

Bigugh; excellent point. Remember the line by David Bowie from Major Tom; "Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do"...imagine how beautiful it must look from out there because you can't see man destroying himself. I am not arguing against the latest "war" necessarily, I am merely saying that humans seem to be very self-destructive in terms of their own kind and the environment around them.

As for heating, every day you Wallies can make a small but collectively important change for the positive...how so? By making that boiler run a little better it pollutes less. By putting in a more efficient one it pollutes less. By installing a renewable type of system you pollute NONE. Etc. Etc.

I'll get off the soap box now...happy belated Earth Day!

Take care, PJO
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    Are the circ pumps on the shuttle.....

if sized right here on earth, way to big in space? Or can they just shut the pumps off once things are rolling up there, and it keeps circulating on its own?

I see the bird, but it looks to me that part of its dna is a genie in a bottle.

Steve
  • PJO_2
    PJO_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Birds and surface tension...

I see the bird...he just exhaled some super-duper ganja :-) (It's Friday...)

As for surface tension, I think the tension is about the same in space from what I read, but it didn't get overcome by gravity. If that's the case, then the pumping would be the same in a closed system...open system (open tank, etc.) would be messy!

Yes, the inside of pipes is a major factor...especially the smaller you go in diameter, and the longer the run. It's a double whammy if it's rough because it will also tend to build up scale at a faster rate as well.

Take care, PJO

• Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Where's my \"A\" dimension????

So much for condensate goes down hill. That's right ..isn't it?
    Nice Pix. Art
This discussion has been closed.