Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tridicator:What is it??

Options
Hi Guys!

What is a Tridicator???

John

Comments

• John G. Merritt
    John G. Merritt Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Never mind . I retract the question

Hey Guys,

I retract that question. In Philadelphia area it's called a Pressure-altitude gauge.
    Yes, Dan explained it, and yes, I can ask some stupid questions.
    However, I never heard it called a tridicator, believe it or not!

John
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Mr. Merritt,

.. as the old saying goes, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked....

Starch
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Tri-

Means three. 1 Temperature, 2 Pressure, 3 Altitude . Something the old timers called it.
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Thanks Mr. Starcher

Thank you Mr. Starcher.
    I feel better already. And, you are correct.

John
  • Richard Miller_2
    Richard Miller_2 Member Posts: 139
    Options

Why altitude? I only see 2 readings and they still call it a tridicator?
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    That's the beauty....

...of this forum. You can ask ANYTHING here and not feel bad about it. The people here are the salt of the earth.

Starch
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Thanks Bill

Thanks Bill.

I honestly never heard that term before used in the field. Always called it a .......Well you know.
    Temp-altitude, Boiler gage, etc.
    You won't believe this one. I called my Boss and asked him,and.......HE DID NOT KNOW!!!!
    I feel much better now!!!

John
  • Unknown
    Options
    I noticed that, too

Altitude is missing now. With open tank systems, that vented up at the roofline, the altitude told you how high the water line was.

I guess we'll call them Dudicators, now.

Noel
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options

Where in the "Philadelphia" area are you from?

Jamie

Pompetti Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Philadelphia area

Hi Jamie,

I reside in Warminster,PA 5 miles south of Doylestown, about 25 miles north of Philly.
    Formally with Sunoco, now with Marshall Fuel in Skippack,
    Montgomery county.
    Where are you located?

John
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options

We are located n Media, PA. About 15 miles south of the international Airport.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Regional names of things in the trade

In different parts on NY state a big sandwich is called a hero, sub, submarine, torpedo, belly bomber, hoagie, grinder. As a NY city plumber, we always called the copper piping inside a building "crotons" after the famous reservoirs that feed the city. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hydronic Misnomers...

The reason the parts house emplyess call it a tridicator when its actually just a bidicator is because the ol' guy that told them it was called a tridicator retired, and the bidicators were put on the same shelf... It looks the same, comes in the same size and color of box, there for it must be a tridicator,right?

What about when you ask for a PRV. You going to get a pressure reducing valve, or a pressure relief valve?

And the list goes on...

ME
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Media

Hey Jamie,

Media seems like the other side of the world from where I am located. Nice area. Used to live in Folcroft many years ago.
    By the way, If you fish, the Skippack Creek & Perkiomen are terrific places to catch 'em.

John
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Interesting names

Hey Mad Dog,

Interesting names. Do they sell Cheese Steaks up there? Soft Pretzels? Just curious.

John
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Good Mark

Hey Mark!

Good one! Interesting.

John
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Altitude & Pressure

Really are one and the same. Only difference on the "real" tridicator is that there is an extra SCALE (altitude) and usually a movable red pointer that is set to the proper altitude of the old expansion tank.

Remember that the old gravity systems were open to atmosphere through the expansion tank overflow so their only "pressure" came strictly from altitude.

I believe that the open tank 1) enhanced gravity circulation and 2) provided a rather crude "safety" in the event of a run-amok boiler.
  • Richard Miller_2
    Options

Yeah, I remember now. I am just a 31 year old kid. I have only ever seen one of the old systems like that. My boss claimed the heavy brass boiler trimmings when I removed it. I reused the old CI rads. This building was so old the maps hidden in the basement showed CO as a territory. The heating system was added in 1911 or so. The tank in the attic had a million rivets in it.
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    I remember....

one old timer refering to the above discussed gauge as a theraltimeter .(sp) I believe this was another local flavoring , and man ...that was a long time ago. Chris
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Am just a 39 year-old kid. Do though enjoy studying the "old ways" as it seems to give you a thorough understanding of how modern hydronics do what they do...
  • Richard Miller_2
    Options

Man, YOU ARE OLD!

snicker snicker
This discussion has been closed.