Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Re-using radiators

Options
Keith,

I have sucessfully installed old cast iron radiators in a closed loop recirculating hot water system. One of the first things we do is flush out the sediment in the radiators to make certain that they are clean and free flowing. I like to pipe the inlet at the bottom of the radiator and the outlet at the opposite top side. I install a brass nipple and a dielectic union at both inlet and outlet, then pipe to the return/supply piping with copper pipe of adequate gpm for the system being installed. Yes, you can zone this type of apllication quite easily.

Comments

• Keith Wilson
    Keith Wilson Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Re-using old radiators

I am general contractor looking for information on re-using old style radiators from a gravity fed hot water system with a a new boiler. My customer would like zones and some of the rooms will be heated with radiant floor heat. Can someone help me identify my potential problems associated with this type of system. I am sure I need to dip the old radiators, etc. I am located in Colorado and I can't seem to find an outfit that performs this service. Any help would be appreciated. I am sure I am not the first contractor who has had this request. Thanks-Keith
  • John Fernandez_2
    John Fernandez_2 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    OLD RADIATORS

FORGOT TO MENTION........WE ARE IN COLORADO ALSO!
  • Howard
    Howard Member Posts: 57
    Options
    dipdipdipdipdipdipdipdipmumumumumumu get a job

Of course you got a job. I recall a customer a few years ago who rehabbed a 90 year old house in Oak Park, IL and had the radiators "dipped" and then painted gold. They were beautiful with lots of ornate details. When they were reinstalled, most of them leaked from the seams or push nipples, whatever you call them. I'd get advice from the experts here before sending out the radiators!

Howard Hansen Service Technician Extraordinaire
This discussion has been closed.