Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G bearing assembly

Options
as firedragon said "the motor mounts". I have found this many times on the B&G 100. When possiable I change them over to wet rotor pump. John@Reliable

Comments

• antman
    antman Member Posts: 182
    Options
    leak

What would cause the bearing assemebly to leak on a series 100 circulator over and over again.

I replaced a leaking circulator last heating season, early this year a recieved a call it was leaking again. I installed a replacement bearing assemebly only, thinking maybe it was defective. just got a call today the circulator is leaking again.

Circulator is for a hydro air coil, there is a total of 2- series 100 and 2- taco 007's. just this one is circ is the problem, don't know what to do, should I just put a wet rotor circ. in or is that masking the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ant

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    When you install the impeller

you have to support the other end of the shaft otherwise there will be a bit of play in the seal. When the pump starts there's a low-pressure area at the eye of the impeller, which pulls the impeller forward. That can cause the seal to leak.

Easiest thing to use is a small block of wood or a small can of paint. Just rest the coupler end of the shaft on that when you're making up the impeller nut.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Seal Kit

The seal kit has a "carbon on ceramic" disc that is highly refined. The oil from your finger can corrupt the seal, let alone a working servicemans less that clean hands. I always recommend surgical gloves or scrubbing your hands thoroughly before replacing seal kits. It doesn't sound like this is the only problem, but it can help from a callback principle.

PR
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Don't foget the

motor mounts too! Often overlooked and for some reason people still seem to think that couplings are cheaper. Well, by the dozen they are!?!?!?!?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Spiralink

spring style couplers can do a number on bearing assemblies, too. They don't break like the real couplers when the motor rings sag.
  • bob carey  -midland,mich.
    Options
    b &g bearing assemblies

might want to check the PH of boiler water. years ago had same problem. finally used 2 tbs of dish washer soap to cure problem. lasted 10 years.water too hard. my first posting.learning to run computer.
  • jeff_25
    jeff_25 Member Posts: 110
    Options

make sure you vent all the air out of the pump before turning it on and make sure to put in the oil before turning on
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    Too much oil

One headache we had was too much oil. The homeowner was putting in extra 3 in 1 when he thought he heard it "scraping". Follow B&G's instructions carefully. It DOES make a difference.

Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • kevin Koenig
    kevin Koenig Member Posts: 1
    Options
    leaking mechanical seals

One may want to closely examine the leaking seal in question. The root cause of the leakage usually leaves tell tale signes as to what went wrong. Cavitation,PH,Airbound,particulate etc. Save the old seal or complete bearing assembly in question and show them to your local pump expert.Thay may be able to provide you with some answers.
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Antman, try this e-mail address...

Dan Schaffer

Dan hangs out here at the wall, and I would bet if you send him an e-mail with you situation, he can get you plenty of answers. I'm sure B&G would like to know about this, in case something is going on with their manufacturing process.
This discussion has been closed.