Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it copper or gray coating?

Options
Plumbing is not my most passionate subject but I will try to explain what we found in a home in Newton, MA today.

As a home Inspector I observe things that are not allways obvious so I should turn to you once again. I looked at a forced hot water system with wall mounted heaters. Fin is wider than most and mounts on narrow pipe rising up from below and returning under the floor on the other side - I supose this is a loop back to the boiler - not in series.

The house was constructed in 1940 - cape style. They used (seven) separate 3/8 inch pieces of tubing, all starting from a large supply manifold above the boiler. Also, it has seven pipes returning to the boiler via a similar manifold. I wish I thought of taking a picture!

It appears to me that the pipe was copper coated or had some other material other than copper on the outer surface. Can anyone tell me what this tubing is and whether or not the joints are soldered?

I have never seen a system set up this way before. Can anyone explain it particular advantages or purpose?

Thank's AJI

Comments

• Sounds like Bundy tubing

Not sure what its made out of , but it can be soldered like regular copper pipe . We see it on systems just like you described - we call them spaghetti systems . I like the idea of having a separate feed and return for each room , think of the pontential .
  • Rich_2
    Rich_2 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    tubing

I ran into this just recetly ,monoflow system black pipe made up the primary loop & the risers were that tubing stuff I don't think there was any copper content but it was solderd matter of fact there was a copper 90 joining this pipe together.What I did see was that this pipe deterioates ,there was a leaky radiator valve dripping & the pipe was rusting & flaking
  • Albert Innamorati
    Albert Innamorati Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Acknowledgement

Rich,

Your comment about the rust and corrosion is precisely what was occuring at the top of the manifold. This was the concern I had, whether new pipe can be attached at the faulty connection and thus an easy repair or if the loop was also due for upgrade.

Thanks for the prior help and if this material has a name could you or anyone please let me in on the poop.

Albert Innamorati
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    I have not ...

seen bundy tubing before but I understand, it can be a trick to repair it. Copper was a bit hard to come buy at that time....needless to say. kpc
  • Rich_2
    Rich_2 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    pipe

I found it connected to a convector,the valve was leaking & the pipe was destroyed it looked like copper it was so badly rusted. I cut the pipe back to where it looked good & replaced it with copper soldered a couplink right to it no problem .My opinion is if it isn't looking rusted out it shouldn't be a problem .I put it together about 2 weeks ago & haven't herd anything
This discussion has been closed.