Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

management issues

Options
Wayco Wayne
Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
is a prince. A real nice kid. Sincere, hard working, and good people skills. I have him in his own truck and going to some installs on his own to give him a chance to grow and make independent choices. However...... he is very absent minded and loses my tools at an alarming rate. How do you guys handle these issues?? Do you provide tools or do you make people buy their own. If the later how do you keep them separate when you work together. Thanks for your input. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• John T_2
    John T_2 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Small tools

are theirs to provide. I supply the power tools with the exception of a cordless drill. It's difficult to lose a sawsall, ladder or something of that sort. If he did lose a large tool I might consider charging him back for being so careless. They can also get stolen, but I don't think it should be a big loss for an employee when that sort of thing happens. It seems to work out well. Having their own tools seems to be a source of pride when they are in training. Keeping them seperate doesn't seem to be an issue either. They become very protective about "their" tools and know exactly how to identify them.

John Taylor
    Custom Climate Systems, Inc.
    Whitmore Lake, Michigan
  • Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Tools

Most of my customers make their employees responsible for their tools.

Maybe if he was responsible for replacing the tools he would be more conscientious.

Just like when the contract says the sub will be charged $300 for each leak in the radiant tubing. Magically there are fewer leaks.

Whatever you do, handle it in a manner to keep his enthusiasm.

Good luck.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    I provide....

...all the big ticket stuff, but my guys provide their own hand tools. They are definitely more careful not to lose their own stuff, and take better care of it, also!

Starch
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    Tools

There are a few ways you can handle this:

There is a color liquid plastic dip you can color code the tools, or etch initials, or paint spot them to distinguish between employee tools.

I spoke with a client of mine and he said he would not require his people to buy their own tools because it would cause a financial burden. ("Tools ain't cheap") But he and I both admit to misplacing tools in our career. He feels after a reasonable kick at the cat, an employee should get a tool replacement price list, and if they continue to lose tools, they would counselled, then the next time, they be charged for the tools, taking a small amount out each check over a period of weeks. He said even if it's 50 cents, it's a reminder each payday for the employee to watch his tools.

Hope this helps.

Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Don't know about you guys......

but the cost to replace my meager "hand tool" box would be somewhere around 3000-3500$ . I take pride in the stuff I have and try my best NOT to lose things .

I think the company should pay for broken tools, but it really should be the techs job to maintain and replace any "lost" hand tools. ( any comments Mr. Milne?)
  • Unknown
    Options
    I always worked where you buy your own.

up to the sawzall, pipe machine level. Most people around were the same way.

It was pretty easy to tell who wanted to be in the trade, by his tools. Likewise, you could tell the guy that only wanted a job.

It also carried over into educating one's self. "Not on my time" type people were the same ones that had no tools.

They changed jobs a lot, too.

I think you can find a way around this small issue, and if you can get the focus on the small dollar details like this, he'll make some money with you. He sounds like he wants to stay.

Noel
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    Tools

I would suggest two things:

1. Recognize that some guys just forget things...in all trades. Emphasize walking the job after picking up to check for tools and materials that were initially overlooked.

2. Get in the habit of including a value in each and every job estimate with the line item entitled "Small Tool Expense". This should always be a factor of say between 1% and 5% of your estimated labor depending on the type and size of the job.
  • First set on the company

after that other than broken or worn tools (turned in for replacement) the employee is responsible. It may be a simple plan of pay back deducted from their pay check over a period of time. If there is no accountability then there is no responsibility.
  • jeff_25
    jeff_25 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    tools

your union the refrigeration tradesman we have to buy our first set of tools mostly hand tools they use a list so every one knows then every year you get 200 dollar tool allowince 100 every six months to replace them some owners will only let you buy what on the list mine allows us some leeway on tools but it dont take long to use it up. things on the list 1 set of gages 3/8 scocket set no meters and all the basic tools
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    tools

I would suggest purchasing the hand tools for the apprentice. Offer to take a mutually agreeable weekly tool reimbursement fee from his paycheck. This requires a formal document to be signed by the employee to allow this payroll deduction. There is no better way to create a sense of responcibility than aknowledging the cost associated with buying tools for carelessness. The power tools are supplied by the contractor typically in my area.
    Another point to be made is that the same double check of the work area for missing tools will also serve as a double check for possible leaks.
    Sounds like you have a young man who will take your suggestions to heart. If he has earned your trust to be off on his own then I am sure you have earned his trust to have his best interest in mind in regards to good work habits.
    I look at this type of situation as another step in an apprentice's mental check list of how he conducts himself.
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Noel.....

I get the feeling you and I worked for the same people at some point . My tools are MINE and I take the time and care to make sure that they are in the proper place when leaving the job .

Bigger and strictly "job related" tools are the responsibility of the company(eg. pipe threading machines, vices,(me , I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow) and major repair devices.

I agree with Timmie on the "one time "rule . If it's needed and we don't own it ,a token tool buy is a small investment . If it turns out to be a continual problem, your on your own. JMHO . Chris
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Certainly

sounds like someone you want to keep and continue to train. How about some type of permanent sign on the steering wheel that reminds him to walk the site one last time. Then when he returns to the shop, ask him. If he says no, either do an immediate inventory or send him back.
  • Watch the labor law with this

I think I remember seeing a column about this in Newsday . It was stated that it is illegal to deduct lost or stolen equipment , or any other job related losses from a workers paycheck . I'm not sure if its a state to state thing ?

With my company , we buy the hand tools , and if they are broken on the job , the company fixes or replaces the tool . Lost tools are a different story . I work with a helper who routinely loses his tools , and loves to blame the other workers for stealing them . Like I always wanted to add a chipped Stanley screwdriver-chisel , or a pair of tin snips that wouldnt cut air , to my collection .
  • Bud
    Bud Member Posts: 2
    Options
    We paid for our own...

The past few years at the last shop before going it alone we paid for most of our own tools. Absolutly all the hand tools and even the bigger tools such as hammer drills and I personally had my own threader, The company had some like the big pipe stuff and a core drill but all the other stuff we supplied. This worked out well for me, I had the tools to do the job properly and kept them in good shape throughout the years. Nothing worse than a tool chest from the company with a bunch of worn out hand me downs. Yes the boss understands they're junk, but no money to replace them and it just causes a lot of stress on the job. He always had our tools repaired if they broke down on the job...Why he wouldn't repair his own, I haven't a clue, just the way he was. My feeling is, the tech should buy most of what he can rightfully afford, basic hand tools a must drills can be purchased faily inexpensivly. Compare it with the auto mechanic...how'd you like to pay for those chest, non the less the tools in it. Test equipment such as co testers should be the responsibility of the company. Some techs have their own issued company truck, I did, so I didn't mind setting it up woith the best tools. I took a lot of pride in my company issued truck. I kept it stocked to do just about all related work. And I always had work. Besides it got me some real nice jobs because the boss want to look good on the job.(He paid us well, and as was stated in an earlier post, you get what you pay for!)Some service techs think the company should be all for them, but it is a two way street. What can you do or are you willing to do for the company. It is your paycheck your looking out for also!

Ok, enough...

Bud
This discussion has been closed.