Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak in boiler

Options
Wayne_12
Wayne_12 Member Posts: 62
Does anyone know of any products out there that could be used to seal a small leak in boiler. I know most leak sealers are not to be used. This fellow needs to seal a leak in a wood fired boiler located outside the house. The boiler holds 1500 gallons of water and has a vent to the atmosphere, no pressure.

Thanks for the help and info. Enjoy reading the posts.

Comments

• John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Leak repair?

Wayne, it really depends on where & what type of material the boiler is made of. You might be able to drill & tap leak and install a plug. You might be able to even weld the leak or weld a plate over area of leak. You could put a wedge of wood in leak or put oatmeal in boiler. I have done all of the above over the years. I never use chemicals unless the system is going to be replaced. Hope this helps John@Reliable
  • Wayne_12
    Options
    access

John, I should of stated the access to leak would require complete removal of the outer shell and removal of vermiculite to visually inspect the problem.

We will see what other ideas surface. Thanks for the input.
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Holy Wood furnace....

Wayne,
    Most of the failings with wood furnasces, where the water falls out, will stem from corrosion in the smoke path. Welding in sleeves or replacing the affected part is the only long term solution. To preempt a repeat you can sleeve the smoke path with stainless. Good luck..... Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    Options
    How old is

the unit? Was the water quality maintained? Most of the outdoor wood burners I have seen are fairly lighy guage metal, not sure what the life eceptancy is.

Keeping the ash cleaned out and dry while it is in the firebox is another critical maintenance item with these open flue appliances.

Tough call :) too many unknowns.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wayne_12
    Options
    15 years of service.
This discussion has been closed.