Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lightweight overpour concrete

Options
Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts Member Posts: 11
Does anyone know of the correct concrete mix proportions for the 1 1/2" thick to be applied on top of the pex tubing. My concern is that the flooring contractors will not warrant the flooring because of the possible instability of the cement mix. The issue of adhesion could fail due to temperature fluxuations. Either way, what good is a warranty from a pex supplier when the overpour crumbles or powders up causing adhesion failure of the floor tiles? Or a supplier in Toronto where the project will be. I heard of a Gypcrete product but am unable to source a supplier at this time. Thanks

Comments

• Doug Wagoner
    Doug Wagoner Member Posts: 78
    Options
    light weight and floor tile adhesion

I have not had good experiences with light weight and any type of adhesion of wood, floor tile or carpet. The light weight has not crumbled, cracked or failed structurally in and of itself; however there seems to not be a strong enough cohesive bonds within the light weight to keep a thin layer of the very top that the adhesive sticks to initially, from seperating from the rest of the light weight. With in five years we had vynal tile and carpet to lose bond in two very lightly used areas in a commercial bld. There was a lot of speculation about the wrong type adhesive, moisture problems (2nd floor--not likely) and other finger pointing. But I beleive the light weight is the problem.
    Both the carpet and the 12x12 tile were re-glued without loosing either. Right now they look good. But I suspect they will turn loose again later. Does this sound like a bad mix on the light weight? The supplier says no.
  • Rock Solid Restoration_3
    Options

The difference between lightweight concrete and normal weight concrete is the type of aggregate used in the mix.

I don't see how this would have an effect on the adhesion of tile etc.

Two reasons that come to mind immediately for adhesion problems are too much moisture in the concrete or lack of preparation of the surface prior to application of the finished surface.

To check for moisture tape the edges of a square of plastic down to the concrete over night. Pull the plastic up the next day. If there is moisture present on the plastic, do not install anything over it.

Surface preparation is extremely important also. Whenever I install a membrane on concrete the surface is either sandblasted or shotblasted first. But this is in an outdoor situation and could be a nightmare to accomplish this inside.Check with the manufacturer.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    www.maxxon.com

Check out Maxxon's web site. I'm sure they can lead you to an approved applicator. We are in Buffalo NY. Not too far from Toronto but I'm sure there is a closer applicator.
  • DKH
    DKH Member Posts: 15
    Options
    RADIANT POUR

I have not used this product but while doing research on concrete the company that makes Quik-crete products assured me that there sand mix product was ideal for this application.Worth contacting them.I have used the lightweight products on many jobs . I would be suspicious of blaming it for the floor problem.Some light weight products can be affected by to hot of water/floor temperature (max,150 degrees(water) in some cases)As you know there are many aspects to radiant design.Research them all before assigning blame.I usually blame the insulator!!!!!!!!!
  • Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    lite pour

This company will be lots of help, I'm sure :
    Don Martin
    KMAC construction
    POB 548
    hutchinson MN 55350
    www.kmacmn.com
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Overpour

There are two companies in the T.O. area ,Acoustical Floors (Maxxon Dealer)and Northwestern Floors out of King City.

Good Luck
    Brian
This discussion has been closed.