Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Designing a new radiant &hydro-coil system

Options
Sam G.
Sam G. Member Posts: 12
I am involved in a project that involves ripping out a very old scortched air furnace and installing a hydronic boiler combining a staple-up zone (wood then thinset tile), 1 baseboard zone, and 1 hydronic coil in a air handler/duct zone. Total house heatloss of under 100,000BTU/hr.It has been a few years since my last radiant system. (I did read Dan's radiant book last night).

A few questions to current installers:
My supply house recommends loose stapling leaving air gap between tubing and floor. Does this make sense? Should I use heat transfer plates?

Heatway Vs. Wirsbo?

Is double sided foil faced bubble wrap insulation sufficient?

Thank You Sam (Heat Jockey)

Comments

• Dana
    Dana Member Posts: 126
    Options

All of your questions are job specific and would be answered during the design phase. Go to www.wirsbo.com, they have a fairly good site. I'm sure they would be happy to send you out a design brochure and/or answer questions.
  • Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Last combo job

I used ROTH AL plates srewed to the sub floor, hammered in the pex, then r-19 glass insulation. First Co. DX cooling. Boiler and controls by Veissman and Arzel.

I do lick the wirsbro site and will use them soon.

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bruce_9
    Bruce_9 Member Posts: 6
    Options

The more insulation underneath your heat the better. I've heard four times the R-value of what's above as a rule of thumb, definitely foil-faced toward the heat. It makes a nice cozy little spot for small critters to move into so be careful in crawl spaces.
  • Marc Sherby
    Marc Sherby Member Posts: 11
    Options

Onix tubing by WattsRadiant (ex Heatway) is the most installation friendly and give excellent performance for staple up jobs. You won't need the plates with the onix. Leave about a 2" air space between the tubing and the foil faced insulation or the floors performance will be diminished.
  • HeatJockey
    HeatJockey Member Posts: 37
    Options

• HeatJockey
    HeatJockey Member Posts: 37
    Options

This discussion has been closed.