Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"New boiler\" question

Options
Mark A. Custis
Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
Mike:

You guys need help down there yours is the third or forth post from your zip code area I've read this year. I like Lake Erie to much to think about moving, but my grandsons live in the Queen City area.

Good luck,

Mark

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=268&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Michael_5
    Michael_5 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Complimentary to "Used boiler" thread.

Thanks for all people who answered "Used boiler" thread. I will not go with "used boiler" option. Becides, I found the mclain calculation method for sizing the boiler. And - my requirements (theoretical) is 60.000 BTU and the one that I planned to have has 217.000. So, "used" one is out of the question. Now, questions for "new" boiler:

1. Reading the postings on this forum it looks like that mclain is not my only choice. Any recommendations for new steam boiler brand?

2. It appears that McLain does not sell direct and there are no price lists for the boiler. How then I can determine the correct price for the job if it is Mclain boiler?

3. Any recommendation for the right person/company in Louisville, KY to give me the quote and do the job?

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Michael,

Get three bids and get a feel for who you are working with.
    You can't only go by cost of equipment and then add for labor. Why you ask? putting in a steam or water system may look easy but man can people mess them up easy. A good 40 % of my work is "fixing" bad installs. Any one who gives you a price with-out asking you questions about old system and looking at system and taking measurements of raditors I would run from. You can't put a price on experience as you will be the one has to live with it for the next 40 years. Hope this helps John@Reliable
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dan has you covered

try this, it ought to answer alot of your questions....personally i dont like the elatromeric seals of mclain boilers on steam applications. dunkirks still use cast iron push nipples..so do some peerless..http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=130
  • Michael_5
    Michael_5 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Gerry,

Thank you very much! This article indeed helps. The problem however is that the closest contractor that advertise on this site is about 160miles away. It is hard to find a professional to work on one-pipe steam system in Louisville.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    michael, call your local

building dept. and ask to speak to the plumbing or mechanical inspector. inform him of what you desire to do and ask him/her to fax you over a list of contractors who he/she would recommend..you may be surprised at how many you get..but these will at least be registered,licensed, bonded and usually pretty competant if the inspector will recommend them. hope this helps..dont be afraid of the building dept., they really are there to help you. plus your taxes pay thier salary.
This discussion has been closed.