Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snow Melt!

Options
Jamie_6
Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
We are bidding our first snow melt jobs and I have a few questions I would like to clear up before the bid goes out!

We are located in Media which is about 20 miles south of Philadelphia! What should we design our snow melting design temp. and wind speed@?

What percentage of glycol is usually recommened?

Do you guys us a codensing boiler w/ flat plates? Or a conventional boiler?

What sort of preperations are necessary before tubing goes down? Can you actually insulate under a drive way with pavers?

Thank You,
Jamie

Pompetti HVAC, Inc.
Media, PA

Comments

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    driveway snowmelt

Under pavers I'd use a highdensity blueboard(if your going to idle the system) put 6 in. of compacted 2A modified stone on top of the blueboard, lay your tubing on top and attach to the road base with sod staples cover with a couple of inches of 1A fines (compacted) then put the sand on to bed the pavers. If they are pouring a concrete slab, use 2B stone for a base for the slab and put your tubing in the slab then they can install the paver on top. Which ever method you use I would use some edge insulation and provide some drainage along side the driveway to get the water away from the driveway. Whatever boiler you use I'd use a buffer tank. If your using a dedicated boiler I'd use condensing boiler with some kind of return temp protection. In the summer you can heat the pool with it. I'd look into possible using an Ultra.
  • Drew_2
    Drew_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Snow Melt

Jamie

Here are 2 attachments for Noburst-100. One is in Microsoft Publisher the other Microsoft Word.

Drew
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    Snow melt thoughts

Closed loop snow/ice melting system should contain sufficient antifreeze to maintain the solution in a pumpable fluid state at least 5°F below the lowest anticipated ambient temperature.

Prevent migration of tubing to a different depth or spacing during installation.

Methods and materials should be used to ensure optimum compaction for maximum density of sand and aggregate around the tubing. Ensure compaction of fill against tubes placed on reinforcement or tube tracking does not damage tube integrity.

Mesh or reinforcing rod must be securely anchored to solid ground by stakes.

Tubing in concrete should be fully encased with a minimum cover of at least 2” and located in the middle of the slab.

Tubing should be attached to reinforcing or other supports to maintain the desired tube spacing and depth during the pour. Attachments should be of a type recommended by the tubing manufacturer.

ASHRAE recognizes wind speed and slab lengths in direction of wind have an impact on load calculations and provide multipliers to adjust load calculations. (For details see ASHRAE Application Handbook, 1999, Chapter 49)

Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
    www.precisionhydronics.com
This discussion has been closed.