Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The NEW PRODUCT TEST AREA is now open - Dan H.

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
according to the label on this container is "a concentrate designed to be added to either pure (industrial or food grade) glycol, or glycol containing dipotassium phosphate." As I recall Alphi 11 in itself is not an antifreeze,just additive. Maybe this has changed?

The label on this container mentions using Dowfrost, Noburst, Cryo-tek, or Dowtherm as acceptable base products. All trademark names, by the way :)

Even more important is the initial cleaning of the system with the proper compatible cleaners. Adding these expensive chemicals to a dirty system would be a big mistake.

I hope Weil, or other tubing manufactures that are recommending these chemicals are very clear on the proper procedures and frequent testing required to keep them "up to snuff"

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Click on Options

and then put a check mark next to NEW PRODUCT TEST AREA to make it visible on your screen.

I'd like to extend an open invitation to all Wallie manufacturers. If you have a new product you'd like to have us focus on, drop me an email and we'll get it set up. No charge.

Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Good idea Dan!

> and then put a check mark next to NEW PRODUCT

> TEST AREA to make it visible on your

> screen.

>

> I'd like to extend an open invitation

> to all Wallie manufacturers. If you have a new

> product you'd like to have us focus on, drop me

> an email and we'll get it set up. No charge.

> Thanks.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Good idea Dan!

> and then put a check mark next to NEW PRODUCT

> TEST AREA to make it visible on your

> screen.

>

> I'd like to extend an open invitation

> to all Wallie manufacturers. If you have a new

> product you'd like to have us focus on, drop me

> an email and we'll get it set up. No charge.

> Thanks.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    It came out of our meeting

at W-M. The product looks great, but as always, the pros want to see how it works before jumping on it. Several of the guys agreed to try it (with a very generous offer from W-M's president) and I suggested that we do this on the Wall so that we could all see the results. It's a win/win for everyone, I think.

They had so much confidence in the Ultra that they told me to go for it, so here we are. That in itself said a lot to me.

Again, this offer is available to any manufacuturer. Got a new product that you believe in? Let me know. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Kritz_3
    Kritz_3 Member Posts: 85
    Options
    W-M Ultra Photos

I was at the W-M training/info session this evening in Farmingdale
    N.Y. Dinner was great and the product seems well put together. The presentation was well done and informative, if you can attend one don't hesitate. They are coming out with a 60,80,105 and a 330 in the spring/summer. The 15 year warranty on the Hx prorated 11 to 15 years: (10%,20%,40%,60%,80%) seemed to be a sore spot among the ranks.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Anticipated life span

of the boiler is about 15 years according to the engineers at our meeting. Amazing efficiency during that time, though.
    Retired and loving it.
  • I am going to have a Training Session

on the Weil - McLain Ultra at my center on Thursday May 1 from 8 AM to 4:30 Pm. Cost is $25 per person, the charge is to cover my expenses for putting on the presentation. Weil- McLain is really excited about this product.
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Options
    Ultra

Nice pics,Kritz! I was at the WM factory tour at WSII. Great people and saw the Ultra in various stages of assy. and testing. WM said the Q&A with the wallies was the toughest group they've had. They explained in detail why they went with aluminum HX rather than stainless. Either way the condensing HX would have a similar warranty.
    Nice unit. Dual temp w/reset on honeywell control platform. Considering the nature of the beast I think that's a decent warranty for an HX. Five year parts AND labor on the rest. Who offers that? What's the HX terms with other condensing boilers...alum. or stainless?

Tom Goebig

• Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Options
    Glycol

I am STILL getting conflicting reports of the use of glycol with these units. HotRod posted several weeks ago about the reaction that can happen, What did they say at the plant?

PR
  • Will this site remain

or will it fall of after three days. I assume it will be a permanent site???
  • Dave Palmer
    Dave Palmer Member Posts: 186
    Options
    Timmie

will you have one we can disect?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    All you have to do

is bookmark it and it will stay until you erase the cookie on your machine.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    You have to use

a special glycol that they bring in from Europe. This, they guarantee.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Kritz_3
    Options
    Ultra

Thanks, I think if I get 15 years I'll be happy. You just have to put
    a 1/4 of $ you save away each year to purchase the new and improved products as this will probably obsolete at that time. They
    did explain that Al heat transfer was much greater than SS or CI. I wonder if they could anodize the Hx and increase the resistance to corrosion or better yet go for cast titanium. Well that might be the next Hx material to be hot. But man oh man that would be top dollar!!!
  • Kritz_3
    Options
    Antifreeze

Fernox is the brand name, Alphi-11is the product name. Web address: www.hydronicagencies.com (the distributor).
  • The folks from Weil

have told me they will have a unit with them. I am not sure if it is a cut away unit or an actual unit we can get our hands on. I will find out and let you know.

At some point when they can let one go they will be giving me a unit for my center.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Great idea Dan

You've taken this sight one more notch upward.

This could become a huge benifit.

UL listing, Consumer reports, and now WAll Tested !!!

Scott

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Right off the bat,

I think it says a lot about the product that any manufacturer might bring here for testing. It takes a lot of faith in the product to do that.
    Retired and loving it.
  • jim f
    jim f Member Posts: 182
    Options

love to see one piped?? and functional.
    looks like a nice product. wondering what the cost comparision to others are??
    jim f
    tri-city heating and cooling

This discussion has been closed.