Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

S.S. Flex Connectors to Brass or Bronze

Options
Rob_7
Rob_7 Member Posts: 12
I was putting a stainless steel flexible gas connector on a water heater the other day, and the instructions read (no surprise) to keep dissimilar metals isolated from each other.
This particular connector had stainless flare nuts and flare to thread adaptors included. Also, I noticed some brands of these connectors apparently have brass flare nuts right on the stainless, i.e., no integral dielectric separation. My questions are, Since these things generally go directly onto a brass or similar material gascock, or else iron which itself is generally attached to the gascock, how the heck are you supposed to "keep disimilar metals isolated"?
Has anyone had any problems with corrosion doing this, or know of any codes or alternate reccomendations for this type of hook up besides putting the stainless flare nut right onto a flared brass valve?
What about a brass valve in the iron pipe whether it touches stainless or not, isn't that disimilar metals, too?
Thanks.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    The only way for corrosion to occur

between dissimilar metals, there has to be moisture or water present, an electrolyte. Think of a wet cell car battery, no energy is created until the acid is installed.

In fuel line connections steel to aluminum at the gas valve, brass and steel. brass and aluminum, ocassionaly galvanized components, stainless steel, and commonly copper (copper is an acceptable material for fuel gas) is in the mix. They all work fine together in a dry enviroment.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.