Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate Pump?

Options
Richard D._2
Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
I have steam under press. coming out the vent of the condensate pump! 4 zones! Bummer!!!B&J F&T T-41 and reg traps on the rads. I found 1 F&T running about 213 deg.F Do you think I have some bad traps???What is the bestway to find the bad trap?? My laser t stat.is prob + or - 20r 3 deg..Thanks in advance for the ton of feedback I know I will get.. From a old dog trying to learn new tricks! Richard

Comments

• Ben_3
    Ben_3 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    steam

Richard, steam coming out of the receivers vent pipe is a sure sign that you probably have some bad traps. I have an infared red thermometer I use {I use it for everything, best toy I ever bought, laser sighted only about $130} Check all your rad traps and and vent/traps that might be on the main. If you have less then a 10 degree diff. the trap is prob. bad replace it or it's element if possible. Do you have any hammer in the dry returns on the "no pressure" side of the system?
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Options
    Bad Traps

Bad traps are usually the reason. If you have valves at the F&T,s you could valve them off one at a time and observe. Otherwise disassemble and look for a stuck float, bad needle and seat assy., etc.. Do NOT cap or install an air vent at the reciever vent. It is not a pressure vessel. Find the problem and fix it or call in a pro.
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Thanks and

Cust.had hammer @ 1 show rm.rad. other than that no other hammer,he said the boiler was noisy! I cleanded the pressure control and the pigtail was partly plugged. Press controll is set @ 1 psi and 1 at the diff. Glad to here that the lasor tester does work.It helps me with freeze ups :)I guess I grab a helper and the handhelds and play find the trap..Thanks Richard
  • tombig
    Options
    F&T's

> Cust.had hammer @ 1 show rm.rad. other than that

> no other hammer,he said the boiler was noisy! I

> cleanded the pressure control and the pigtail was

> partly plugged. Press controll is set @ 1 psi and

> 1 at the diff. Glad to here that the lasor

> tester does work.It helps me with freeze ups :)I

> guess I grab a helper and the handhelds and play

> find the trap..Thanks Richard

• tombig
    Options
    F&T's

Definitely start with the f&t's. It's probably just one. Take 'em all apart over the summer and clean/replace. Consider tracking down the mfg. of the rad traps and changing all bellows assy. Like a new system then.
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    I am

going back tomorrow to test all the traps.I did a school and had several bad traps..They said replace them all!!! WOW!!Someone willing to spend money to fix a problem!!!:) And like you said runs like a NEW system..Thankyou everyone from a old dog still learning...Richard
    PS hope to return the favor soon to everyone
This discussion has been closed.