Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

taming monoflo single pipe system

Options
Joe_30
Joe_30 Member Posts: 85
Okay, a one pipe monoflow system works fine. If you REMOVE a radiator you have to leave a a bypass to keep the whole flow to join up and going downstream. (or remove those diverter tees,etc.)

But, is it okay to use a radiator valve to tame an oversized radiator in a room?. That is, REDUCING but not stopping the flow up to that room? (I am setting up the summer projects]. Yup, it's a simple question, but I take it that there are few really dumb questions.

Comments

• Ben_3
    Ben_3 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Monoflow

Joe you already know the answer to this. Your right if you remove a rad you join the tees together to allow the flow to re-join in the main. If you don't and just cap the tees you force the entire system flow through that restriction built into the tee. So even when you adjust the valve on the rad or even close off the rad.{ a true rad. valve for hot water has a small hole driiled through the seat to allow a very tiny bit of flow to protect the risers from freezing}. The water still has two paths to take and the flow will re-join in the main. But try to avoid closing off the rad completely or throttling down to many, I have seen flow problems develop in rads. that worked fine before. If the pump on the system is borderline for the GPM/ft. head you can cause the flow to slow down with the added restrictions of closed valves. Mant times Joe you can still throttle down one rad and never see a problem. Hey if you notice a problem you can always open it back up. Or maybe even replace it with one sized to the heat loss of the room. Hoped this answers your question.
  • Joe_30
    Joe_30 Member Posts: 85
    Options

Thanks Ben. I thought this might be the answer, but some things are counterintuitive, and it is pros like you who clear it up.
This discussion has been closed.