Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey Molly! Can you help this airhead pig?

Options
Floyd
Floyd Member Posts: 429
this job works great.....and has it all with one simple Tekmar control.......

Four boilers, reset, staging, and rotation.......and oh yeah snow melt, to boot!!!

Comments

• Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Options
    I had both feet in my mouth,

before I knew what happened. While discussing fuel saving options with the director of public service, about a boiler that needs to be replaced in city hall, I mentioned both outdoor tempurature reset, and staged units in the same sentence. He liked it so well he told city council about it.

My local supply house wizzards tell me I can do one or the other, but not both, why?

I wish to keep this account (I won the bid, as only bidder), until you guys bury me.

Any thoughts will help. I should have stayed with the wrenches, but I took the sales course instead.

Can you help save the day?

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Ben_3
    Ben_3 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hey Mark

Go back to your supply house and open thier eyes to the wide world of Tekmar. With these controls you can make boilers do anything and I have staged and done reset with one tekmar control, that's a great thing when one control will do all this. They have a full line of staging and reset controls you should check out. I have hundreds of them out there from multi-boiler staged reset to snow-melt-to radiant jobs never any problems, only solutions!
  • Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Options
    Quick and Simple

Check out these Tekmar PDF's available on their web-site.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/acrobat/a361.pdf
    http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/acrobat/a262.pdf

They can get you started, Let me know your basic setup and maybe I can scratch out a drawing with the electrical and mechanical.

PR
  • Mark A. Custis
    Options
    Ben:

I've got the Tekmar book, but have not had time to do the real work. I like the guy in Canada and your responces to his questions. I wish there was a good way to keep myself from blue skying so much, old age has not helped.

I will get into it sooner than later as I have been overwhelmed by the deplorable condition of the equipement in my own home town. In fact I get to the book tonigh.

I was trying to get some input to shorten my own learning curve. I stood with Molly a veteran of our business and since she is a fitter and I am not I called for her.

Thanks Ben, I'll email direct if I get stuck in the cataloge.

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark A. Custis
    Options
    Thanks Paul:

Just what I needed. My 19' screen is pumped up to read easier than the tech books for these old eyes. I'm the tall fat grey haired bald guy in Alan's Beckett school pics.

Mark

• molly
    molly Member Posts: 43
    Options

We like the Tekmar controls. We have a staged system with 4 boilers for heating and dhw. We used the Tekmar 254 control to stage the 4 boilers. System is piped p/s. It has an outdoor sensor that determines the loop temperature based on the heating curve you set up. The control uses equal run time rotation so each boiler gets it's fair share of exercise. The control for out door reset for 2 staged boilers in the Tekmar 261. If you’re going to be getting your dhw off of the system get the 262. I’m not yet an expert Mark, but I sure hope to be some day.
  • Mark A. Custis
    Options

Looking at 262 as I can add DHW. I am in process of looking at the 361 line.

The main loops are there I just need to inject into it. Whats a few small pumps between city council and the service director. P/S will be easy and I got an email from an old freind (older than I am) who understand the old Slawsons designs to keep the cooling simple.

What a mess this equipment is. I just can't dust stuff for a living.

By the way, what took ya so long.

Your freind,

Mark

• Mark A. Custis
    Options
    Murph was going to

teach me to post pictures, but last time I saw him I gave my last $95 in the world to go to Alan's Beckett session. The next day in the mail came the contract with the city. That is what I want the city's boiler room to look like, I can not use the yellow gas pipe due to Ohio codes. I am considered commercial as it is a public building.

What is your load and what did you repalce if anything. I'm looking for sales ammo when I get to pitch city council. The neat thing is I get the job if they deside to keep heating city hall.

Thanks,

Mark

• Floyd
    Options
    I replaced....

a 300,000 American Standard and a 750,000 Peerless.......
    The load is one of those guess and by golly deals.....as there sre common areas in the bank
    that are heated by other means... basically I sized it for the snow melt load and that gave plenty for
    the heating load.....snow melt never runs more than an hour at a shot, so it has plenty of time to catch
    up the heating loads, in between..... has been running for a couple of winters now... was holding my
    breath sometimes this winter, but the system came through with flying colors!!!!

WHEW!!!!!!!!!! :-)
  • Mark A. Custis
    Options
    The grey jello

between my ears, also leaks out in my beard, is begining to jell. It will tak a day or so to sort out the plan I sold from what I have learned tonight from you PR and Molly. They gotta keep heating City Hall it contains the jail. I just need to show them how. I will now shapen my mouse and rerun the heat loss calcs in two different programs.

Thanks to all in the family for all they do to help others. Did I get it right Dan?

I love this place and this country,

Mark

• Floyd
    Options
    One more thing....

I actually installed a couple of those boilers, before I tore out the old one, so that I could make the switch in one day..... then hooked the others on line, after ripping out the old one. Like the jail... they needed heat in the bank also.... may help you get the job... :-)

Just another hairbrained angle to persue.....
  • johny
    johny Member Posts: 19
    Options
    venting

you dont have any problems with draft with that setup.thats looks like a long run for that end boiler.How tall is the vertical flue runs.Yust curious.Thanks
  • Mark A. Custis
    Options
    I will need to build

an AGA ventining manifold to the masonry flue. The flue is large enough I could throw 5 or six individual lines to with out problem.

Thanks,

Mark

• Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options

check your email, drawings should be there.

PR
This discussion has been closed.