Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Styrofoam staples

Options
kevin_5
kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
If you're like me you won't be able to believe it till you see it for yoursel; but I put down over 17,000 feet of tubing on one job last summer and didn't have any trouble at all with the staples pulling out. We put them into R-foil and Low-E in different areas, (due to availability) and it worked great with both of them. My back felt GREAT! Kevin

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=270&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Saples for styrofaom

I've heard about them on the Wall. Never used them. Gotta job coming up where I maybe could. Do they work well? Who sells them.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Bergerson
    Steve Bergerson Member Posts: 38
    Options
    They work awesome!

Wirsbo sells them in two sizes... for 1" foam and for 2" or thicker foam. You use a special stapler that looks somewhat like a pogo stick. The stapler has a half moon cutout in the end that sits on the pex. You just push down on the top, and the pex is stapled into the foam with a plastic staple. This method makes for an extremely fast installation.

I do know of one contractor who didn't want to pay for the stapler, and who pushed all the staples in by hand... Right after that job, he bought a stapler.
  • Steve Bergerson
    Steve Bergerson Member Posts: 38
    Options
    They work great!

You use a special foam stapler (see picture) with the plastic foam staples. Both are available from Wirsbo.

The stapler looks kind of like a pogo stick, and cradles the pex tubing as you lay it out. Push down on the top and a staple is installed and the tube is secure. Makes for a really fast installation. There are two different lengths of staples... one for 1" foam, and another for 2" and thicker.

I know one contractor who pushed all the staples in by hand because he didn't want to spend the money on a stapler..... After that job, he bought the stapler.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    hey Wayne....

how's tricks? I Have used the stapler 2 times now. They are the best...I will never use mesh and wire ties again. My supplier rents out one. The 2" stapes are a bit more but hold the pex better than the smaller size. Just remember to take the tape off as you load the staples ....otherwise it will jam up the stapler. I would use the styro(2") instead of the double bubble stuff. kpc
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Options
    Staples

> how's tricks? I Have used the stapler 2 times

> now. They are the best...I will never use mesh

> and wire ties again. My supplier rents out one.

> The 2" stapes are a bit more but hold the pex

> better than the smaller size. Just remember to

> take the tape off as you load the staples

> ....otherwise it will jam up the stapler. I would

> use the styro(2") instead of the double bubble

> stuff. kpc

• tombig
    Options
    Staples

> how's tricks? I Have used the stapler 2 times

> now. They are the best...I will never use mesh

> and wire ties again. My supplier rents out one.

> The 2" stapes are a bit more but hold the pex

> better than the smaller size. Just remember to

> take the tape off as you load the staples

> ....otherwise it will jam up the stapler. I would

> use the styro(2") instead of the double bubble

> stuff. kpc

• tombig
    Options
    Staples

How well do they hold when six guys pouring concrete are walking on them? I guess I've never trusted them enough to use them. Seems like a time saver to me.

Tombig
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    use the two inch....

staples and a baseball bat.... just kidding about the bat.kpc
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Try it and see

If you're like me you won't be able to believe it till you see it for yourself; but I put down over 17,000 feet of tubing on one job last summer and didn't have any trouble at all with the staples pulling out. We put them into R-foil and Low-E in different areas, (due to availability) and it worked great with both of them. My back felt GREAT! Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • paul holland
    paul holland Member Posts: 3
    Options

I've been using them for several years and have good luck with them. They hold like the Hoover Dam and you can walk on them for days and pouring cement is no problem.
  • tombig
    Options
    Staples

I usually spend the first half hour in a foundation straightening out the mesh so my tube runs look respectably straight. Now I find out the foam staples are the cat's meow just when I'm looking into bubble/roll insulation.

Tom Goebig
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    One drawback

with staples to foam it prevents you from placing the tube up into the pour where it really should be. Although I'll bet the vast majority of radiant tube is at the bottom of the slab :) mine included.

In a 6"commercial job you really need to address the tube depth, however!

It really is a catch 22 these days. Virtually all concrete jobs are score cut these days to handle cracking. It's real hard to know exactly where they will score. Need to keep the tube deep in those areas. Nothing like a saw cut through a row of pex to ruin your day.

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,3185,00.html

hot rod

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ryan
    ryan Member Posts: 23
    Options
    staples

You won't believe the differnce. You will have a hard time keeping ahead of the stapler. I have never had a problem with them coming loose. Once you use it you'll never go back
This discussion has been closed.