Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HX w/steam

Options
antman
antman Member Posts: 182
I was hoping for some advice

1) I have a job where there is a WM SGO-6 with a steam net rating of 157,000 or 654sq.ft. I am installing a baseboard heating zone for the basement (28'=15,680 @560 a ft.) and was going to use the tappings on the boiler and use the condensate in the boiler. I have been told that the hvac contractor is adding a 55,000 btu hydro air sytem for the kitchen/family room. My question, could i use a flat plate HX off this steam boiler and set up 2 zones or would it be robbing to many btu's from the boiler and prevent it from making steam? Should i just size up the convectors and see what my connected(radiation)load is compared to the boiler rating? Will the flat plate HX keep up with the demand of the hydro air? Is there a general guidline when using a HX off steam?

I am trying not to add a small boiler unless there are no other options, not really a cut and dry job, otherwise i would. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2) My next project is, I am installing a new Burnham IN boiler, but i am also going to have an Alliance water heater, baseboard heating for the basement, and a radiant zone for a kitchen/family with hardwood(going to use outdoor reset).

I was also going to use a HX, how would I add these additional BTU's when sizing my boiler, which i have already done? Is there any thoughts or ideas you may give me?

Is there any bad things about Flate Plate HX that i should know of?

Thanks as always, Ant

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=239&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    my two cents

Too much for the flat plate on the condensate side, unless the boiler is oversized. What is the EDR of the steam load? That really is the question.

Why the heat exchanger? Condensate is lumpy, and brazed plate heat exchangers are tight. Could you use a big ole B&G 100 and straight condensate from the boiler (blended through a bypass) to feed the fan coils and baseboard? I think it would be less maintenance.

I pass on question two.....

Noel
This discussion has been closed.