Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OK to throtle radiator in Monoflo system?

Options
Joe_30
Joe_30 Member Posts: 85
[1] Is it OK to throttle, to valve down the flow in a iron baseboard radiator, in a MONOFLO system? Your really informative piece on Monoflo systems shows that you cannot "remove" a radiator unless you leave in place a bypass, in order to keep full flow going downstream. But what if I inadvertently install too much iron baseboard in one of a series of rooms? Is throttling -down too much like removal.? Have a little bypass pipe under the rad.? Overkill?

I have collected some old 7" iron baseboard, and I like it, and need to get one of my colder rooms warmed up, but I ask this in case I overshoot. I've got the calculations on this, and have to get my physics Phd son to explain the math.

[2} this 1940 house has some two-tube fin & tube radiation buried in the walls ( with upper and lower grills to let the heat out). Does anyone know the BTU output of that stuff.[ A lot of the heat goes out the uninsulated wall section.]

[ Prior owner has put thin tube iron radiators in some rooms, unbalancing the whole. I am working some iron into all of the rooms to get back the balance. ]

Your opinion is valued. Joe w.
This discussion has been closed.