Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating an addition with radiant heat

Options
Dave Brown
Dave Brown Member Posts: 1
I have a friend who's adding 500 sq ft onto his house. Currently, he has 2000 sq ft so the new area will be an increase of 20%. He has scorched air but is considering adding a small boiler to do radiant heating on the floors of the new rooms. They have a basement underneath so staple up is possible. The bathroom needs to be toasty warm as he is putting in a Japanese Soaking Tub with lots of glass along the exterior wall. I thought about one of those hot water towel warmers. My thoughts were to duct for cooling and shut the dampers off in the winter time and use the radiant heat in the winter.

Anybody have some thoughts on this? and whether mixing the two systems is a good idea or not.

Comments

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Tub room

Is he doing a tile floor in the tub room? Put the tubing on top of the floor, put an 1 1/2 of wetbed mortar on top and then the tile. Use some radiant wall. In bath areas we put tubing everywhere, under the tub, in and under the shower in the shower bench, on the tub pedestal, towel warmers. We run it on a slab sensor so the homeowner always has a warm hard surface contacting their bare skin. We've even put it behind mirrors to help with the load and defogging.Use a whole house ventilator for exhaustand feed the incoming air into the house return ducts& and the scorched air IAQ will improve. Go for it
  • Jack Smith
    Jack Smith Member Posts: 53
    Options

total agreement with the last post, just wanted to add, use a hot water tank
This discussion has been closed.