Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this?

Options
Jason_4
Jason_4 Member Posts: 9
What is the large pipe located in the basement floor in the picture for? Is this a toilet hookup or just another floor drain? The copper pipe in the background is the water inlet from the city.

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Cleanout (nm)

• Jason_4
    Jason_4 Member Posts: 9
    Options

can it be used as a toilet hook up?
  • Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Options
    not

if it is trapped, a double traped drain does not drain.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • rich_6
    rich_6 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    don't cover

what ever you do, don't cover this up or build a wall over it. it's your main sewer clean-out. if you cover this up, you can't clean main drain or sewer if it would plug-up
  • Jim Walls_2
    Jim Walls_2 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    what type of building is this ?

That appears to be about 8" in diameter. Looks like a cleanout, but have you had the top off & looked inside? Do you have any old drawings? Is there storm piping in the building, if so, is it a combination sewer or do you have seperate sanitary & storm sewers?
  • Wes
    Wes Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Careful

It is likely the cleanout but could also be the weepingtile cleanout which attaches to the weeping tile around your house and drains only to ground.(Assuming you have weeping tile) If it is the result would be disasterous. If you want a toilet downstairs my advice would be to break up the floor and tie into the main line. Under no circumstances would I use this to seat a toilet
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    If you remove

the plug and flush a toilet in one of the bathrooms and you can hear water running down the drain from the open pipe, you will know that it is connected to your sanitary system.

If that were in my area, I would say it's an end-of-line cleanout. You can use it for a toilet if it's connected to the sanitary system if you do 3 things:

1) move it to the proper rough-in location

2) vent it

3) install another cleanout somewhere to take its place

By the way, if that cleanout plug has never been removed, you may have a hard time getting it off. Most of the time, we end up cutting through the brass plug and replacing it with a well greased plastic one.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    It's a floor safe :)

open it and put your jewelery down there!

Just kidding!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.