Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GV-4 real cheap (SE)

Options
Steve Ebels
Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
GV-4 gas boiler that someone can buy way below normal wholesale. I won't get in to how I wound up with it here but it is brand new, never installed, with all the standard accessories that they normally come with. We will even deliver it anywhere in the Lower Penninsula for $100 extra. E-mail me if you're interested and I'll give you the price. It's set up for natural gas but a conversion to LP is available.

Comments

• harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options

we know how you came up with this one. warranty change out of an older model. we also changed one out. poor design. you will only find out when the bypass pump poops out when the HX rusts shut again
  • Steve Ebels
    Options
    Guess again Harvey

> we know how you came up with this one. warranty

> change out of an older model. we also changed one

> out. poor design. you will only find out when the

> bypass pump poops out when the HX rusts shut

> again

• Steve Ebels
    Options
    Guess again Harvey

Here's the short version. The HO called me after he had received recommendations from an internet company on how to install a staple up system. He had already purchased the GV from a buddy who had a friend....... you know the rest. Suffice to say that after looking at their plan, most of it went in the circular file. The HO wound up with plates and a Vitodens hanging on the wall. System reconfigured to run all at one temp instead of 5, YES FIVE different temps in a 1,660 sq ft home. Not much of the origional plan survived.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    I beg to differ

I have installed plenty of GV's, including one in my own home (9 years ago) It's a fine boiler. If you have rust or corrosion plugging up components, that's typically not "caused" by the boiler. It sounds like a non barrier pipe, or a leak causing make up water, or a lack of water treatment.

They don't ship those things with rust in them :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ray M_2
    Ray M_2 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    GV

I installed one when they first came out a GV-6 about 14 years ago.The only problem was a recall on the plexi-vent system they specifyed at the time.Everything else is still fine.
    Ray M

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options
    weil gv boiler

Hot Rod: I respect your opinion very much. Had NO previous experience with this boiler. However, when a call to the rep regarding a no heat call (burner will not stay on) results in the factory giving us a complete new boiler to replace the original, something can't be right. NO charge on the new boiler. BTW the rust was in the combustion chamber not the water way.
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Weil GV

I have installed many of these unit. They are a terrific unit. (Have one in my house, and one of the guys who works for us installed one in his house when they first came out.) Aside from the occasional ignitor and/or bee flying into the burner cone, they seem to be very reliable.They have been out for 8 or 9 years now, with 4 different series,each one being nicer than the one before.

I did replace one for rust plugging the combustion area, but the factory blamed that on an improper vent pipe installation.(condensate could not drain out)I do believe Weil McLain warranteed the boiler.

Andy Morgan

R Morgan Mechanical, LLC
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Gee, I guess they are a little older than I thought!

Andy Morgan

R Morgan Mechanical
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo???????????????

I don't get it????

When a company stands behind their product and gives you a new boiler a no charge.......

It is somehow an admission of guilt???????????????

Those boilers are built like tanks!!!! I can take you to a plant that makes countertops.....
    4 GV's running 8-16 hr/day (depending on how many shifts their running at the time) @ 220* in a VERY
    corrosive enviorment!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they burn up... after about 5-6 yrs., but try that with most any other boiler on the market and see
    what you get outta them!!!

Have installed a ton of GV's in regular house situations...........had a problem with one........and guess what,
    they are replacing it for free!!!!!!! I was thirlled!!!! NO run around!!!!
    I wish all companies were that easy to work with...... and the boilers?????? They just keep on going,and going, and going, and going...........

Can't WAIT for the plant tour!!!!!!

MOLTEN METAL!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Steve Ebels
    Options
    Sooooooooooo?

Like........ Does anyone need one of these, cheap?
  • Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Steve, you should have gotten an E-mail from me......

yesterday.

Boilerpro
This discussion has been closed.