Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spirovents

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
I believe the purpose of the male thread on the Spiro-Vent is to cap it for air tests. -DF

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=262&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Donny_2
    Donny_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Spirovents

I just installed a spirovent in a hot water system that was having air problems. The system had a closed expansion tank without a diaphram. Should I have piped the air vent to return the the air to the bottom of the tank. There is no mention of this in the spirovent literature, but there are male threads at the air vent. Thanks
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Compatible?

I don't like to have any automatic vents in a system with a non-diaphragm tank. I've never experimented but I would think that you will absorb the air from the tank and remove it with the spirovent in a short period of time. It's possible that the original piping is not directing air from the system to the tank or a leak is causing make-up water to bring new air into the system.

I thought that that's why the spirovent is threaded there although you wouldn't want to pipe it to the bottom of the tank. Maybe a "dip tube" could be piped to near the top.

Does anybody know what the purpose of those male threads is?
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Thank You.

It's one of those things you wonder about but never think to ask about.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    another trick

is to screw a pex X fip adapter on the threaded nosepiece and run a piece of pex to a more convient spot.

Very helpful when the spiro is within spitting distance of the boiler and electronic controls. Thgey have been known to leak or spray when you turn your back on them :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Ye olde spirovent trick

I used to have a problem with the spirovent discharging water whenever I screwed the expansion tank into the bottom of it. I started installing a 1 1/4" by 1/2 blk tee before the spirovent and bringing the feed valve and expansion tank into that opening (point of no pressure change). I have never had it discharge water ever since using that piping arrangement. As far as using a plain steel expansion tank in conjunction with a spirovent? Don't. Do yourself and your customer a favor and use a diapragm style tank.
  • ML
    ML Member Posts: 7
    Options

Another question. I don't see a directional arrow on the spirovent. Is there an upstream/downstream to it?

Thanks
    Mike
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    It doesn't matter

on a Spirovent; it's just a big open cavity on the inside.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Just make sure

The threaded nosepiece is at the top. And keep it plumb too :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ML
    ML Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks for the quick answer

Mike
  • zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Why

does the sticker always peel off?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Direction

The Spirovent should point forward, towards the flow.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Danny Paul
    Danny Paul Member Posts: 4
    Options
    spirovent

There is no real direction for the spirovent. If you look inside their isn't a baffle or flow pattern. That is why their isn't an arrow on the outside.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    spirovent

I work on a commercioal refrigeration system with a sirovent on the suction side of pumps in a closed loop system which cools compresser heads .as compressers cycle off solenoids close for each one and when enough go off pump suctiuon goes in a vacuum and the spirovent (or microbubble resorber?)allows air to be sucked into system.this then is expeled when pump suction comes up as compressers come back online .this takes glycol out of system over time .should spirovent be on pump outlet side only? Thanks Mike
  • zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    I always

install spirovents at "The Point of No Pressure Change" (expansion tank). If there is no e-tank I'd go on the discharge side of the pump.
  • BILL R
    BILL R Member Posts: 1
    Options
    SPIROVENT

ONE OF THE REASONS FOR THE THREADED VENT IS TO PIPE INTO TOP OF COMPRESSION TANK SO YOU ALWAYS REPLACE THE AIR. OTHERWISE YOU WOULD FLOOD THE TANK. EITHER DIRECTION FOR FLOW IS GOOD. THE BOTTOM TAP ON SPROVENT IS ALWAYS FOR DIAPAGRAM TANK. EX. EXTROL 15 OR 30. I FIND THAT REMOVING ALL OTHER VENTS FROM MAIN AS WELL AS OTHER AREAS WHEN USING A SPIROVENT HELPS ELIMINATE ALL AIR PROBLEMS. HAVE FILLED SYSTEMS FROM SCRATCH AND NEVER HAD TO BLEED. ALSO LOOK AT THE B& G EASB. IT IS AS GOOD AS A SPIROVENT HAS LARGE CHAMBER AND SCREENS TO CAPTURE THE MICROBUBBLES.
    BILL
  • jim f
    jim f Member Posts: 182
    Options
    spirovent

hesr a 2" in the field
  • rob
    rob Member Posts: 64
    Options
    That is

beauuuutiful. Very nice. It's so nice to see an artisan with passion for his craft. My compliments to the chef.
    Some day I'll find an employers who can appreciate this type of craftmanship.
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Bill, call me crazy, but...

if you hook a steel compression tank up to the threaded top tap on a spirovent, at the point that the spirovent has expelled it's air and the float has closed the top port, now you have isolated the expansion tank from the system and there is no place for expansion to go. And if you look at the literature that comes with a spirovent, you will see that they only show using a bladder tank off the bottom tap.

p.s. please turn off your caps lock. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.