Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

breaking couplers

Options
molly
molly Member Posts: 43
We've been getting a lot of no heat calls as a result of broken couplers. Usually the coupler is on a Beckett burner mated with a Fields cas-2b air boot for combustion air. I know that proper aliagnment of the pump shaft and burner motor shaft is important. But, even when I take great care to cut the new coupler the correct length and align the shafts, invariably I'm back there again next year or the year after replacing the broken coupler again. Is there a trick to getting these to last longer? I'm using a Nylo-flex #88, is there something better I could be using? I'm to the point now where I change the coupler along with the nozzle, pump strainer, and oil filter at time of c/s (on systems w/cas-2b). Anyone else have this problem? Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Get with Beckett

They will want to know if they have a problem, and they will help you get it right.

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • molly
    Options

I may have been misleading by mentioning the burner brand. This is the most popular burner in my area. It's on about 90% of new stuff here. I can't really compare coupler longevity on other burners as I can't say that I've even ever seen another brand with an air boot. I will check with Beckett though, just to see if they have any suggestions.
  • Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Options
    As second thought:

Is it possible the cold air could be making the plastic brittle?

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Or, is there

any indication of the rubber breaking down due to overheating? Are the coupling ends still sharp and crisp?Any carbon on the nozzles or retention heads? Soot on the porcelains? Is the paint flaking or spalling on the observation port covers?
  • molly
    Options

that's an interesting thought. I'm going to check into that!
  • molly
    Options

No, definately not an overheating problem. Burners are running in tip top shape. We had 2 coulpers in 1 day break. The temperature was extremely cold for the last 2 weeks or so, I'm starting to think, as Mark suggested, there may be a connection to the cold air. It's the plastic ends that break. Shattered.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pump end

or motor end?
  • canuckDale
    canuckDale Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Ron may have it

Could be like those Bell and Gosset bearing bracket assembly kits. Those motor mounts that some guys throw away???
    And buy another bracket kit...and throw the rubbers away..
    Maybe?
  • molly
    Options
    pump

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Inside

or outside tank?
  • molly
    Options
    one was an inside tank and one was an underground

the one with the inside tank was 2 years old. The one with the underground was just over one year old.
This discussion has been closed.