Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electrical circuit for oil burner

Options
Hello. I have a forced air oil furnace on a dedicated 15 amp circuit. The breaker has never tripped but I was curious about whether the circuit should be upgraded to 20 amp. Are most of these circuits 15 or 20 amp in new installations? Thanks and a happy Easter to all.

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    electric circuit

oil burner systems are designed to run on 15 amp circuits leave it alone if if its working ok if its tripping you have an electrical problem

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    It depends

On the wire size. #14 awg is only rated for 15amps. #12awg wire is good for 20 amp. #10awg wire = 30 amps. So if you have #14 wire and you install a 20 amp breaker or fuse you are exceeding the capacity of the wire.

The only time you may need the 20 amp on a furnace is if you have a BIG blower with a 3/4 or 1 horse power motor.
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Look at the nameplate in the furnace,

it almost always has listed a minimum amps used and a maximum amps needed for the furnace. I personally have yet to see a residential gas or oil furnace that would need more than 15 amps, and a lot of times you could actually put a 10 amp fuse at the furnace for extra protection due to the lack of amps used.

Also, if you have too big a circuit, you might not blow the fuse/trip the breaker in an overload situation, like a frozen blower motor.

Glenn Harrison, Residential Service Techician

Althoff Industries, Crystal Lake, Illinois

Althoff Industies Link
This discussion has been closed.