Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Have You Ever?

Options
There is strength in numbers, and it IS the only game in town. I hope you learn a lot. I just wish there was a way to police some of the members...

ME

Comments

• Ray M_2
    Ray M_2 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Have you ever seen ?

I visited a customers house and saw the most uncanny radiant installation ever.The tubing is pex-al-pex stapled to the SIDES of the floor joists.He explained that a sheet of aluminum bubble wrap is installed 2 inches below the tubing and nothing else.Now mabey i am missing something here,i did the heat loss with staple-up and plates and was short on most of the rooms.Is this the new and improved means of installation? Its rude that this was sold on the net!!

RayM

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did you tell him...

to lose your telepone number when it gets cold outside? If your calcs said it won't work, what makes him think it WILL work when it gets cold outside.

Where on the web did he buy it?

ME
  • Ray M_2
    Options
    Radiant

I told him he would need supplemental heat on a two stage t-stat to meet design.He was a little leary to tell me where he bought it from,but he said it is a company here in NY state that is a member of the RPA, i will keep asking him who sold this stuff to him.By the way mark I have send my application to the RPA.
    Ray M

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    I have..

heard of some guys doing the side of the joist thing...lots of striping on the floor. Is he having problems? kpc
  • Ray M_2
    Options
    Problem

Kevin,the problem is he was sold a pile of manure.Its a shame that someone does this sort of thing.

Ray M

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Internet

Ray : Do you know any of the other components- I can probably tell you the source. It's so easy to take a credit card and wave your magic wand. They seem to be able to make things heat from over the phone when the local professionals can't. I had a guy tell me yesterday- "If my new house doesn't heat then mr low baller will have to pay you to come fix it." He assures me it will heat great for 1/2 the price that We will charge. Fools Gold! If it were only true.
  • Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Options
    Now batting cleanup......

Same thing happened to me Friday, I designedquoted a job to my contractor. HO knew better and bought non-barrier tubing from Menards (Saved big money) and now wants my contractor to hook it up. Contractor, this being his first radiant job, asked me how, what , why ......

I don't have to sell a contractor everything on a radiant job, but who is going to trouble shoot this mess? Menards also sells a pre-plumbed pre-wired "panel" from a company called CPI. Anyone had experience with this company? It had a Grundfos (Bronze) pump with what looked to be a timer and a phone jack. I guess the phone jack would be a good indicator that you will need a phone on the ready when there are problems.

HO also is buying a direct vent water heater as a heat source. When I did the heat load, I had 51,500 BTU's. I have reminded the contractor about this but he is not savvy enough to walk away. (let alone run)

Calgon take me away......

PR

• John Van
    John Van Member Posts: 6
    Options
    On the other hand...

I see messages posted here everyday about the botched jobs that licensed contractors have installed.

I'm a homeowner who took the time to research and understand radiant heating principles and installations. I did heat loss calculations, and clocked the old hot air furnace to verify them. I bought the materials from some of the mail order / internet outfits that are regularly bashed on this forum. I did the install myself. My system has been running reliably for four years, and heating the house very well. I will admit that the -10F conditions this winter are a little more that the system can keep up with (design temp for this area is +5F).

Some people will always try to save a buck, and do it themselves. Whether it's PEX, lumber, or auto parts, some can do it, and some can't. I believe that it is up to the professionals to convince their customers that they offer a value. There's no sense in getting stressed over the stubborn cheapskates (I lump myself in this category) that don't want or appreciate your expertise. I like to learn by doing, which can cause grief or discomfort. I consider that to be the cost of education.
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Good for you!

Yes, you can do it your self! And if your time is counted in $$$ you probably spent more than if a qualified contractor had done it. But, you know how it works and why, and your proud of it. No one here will take you to task for that. Most of our grumbling is about poor quality products and poorer quality installation. Even good contractors screw up, but the good ones take care of there problems. It's the hit and run jokers, and companies that sell bad products that we take issue with.
    Congratulations to you and let the buyer beware.
This discussion has been closed.