Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wasdis?

Options
paul lessard_3
paul lessard_3 Member Posts: 186
It has 1in tappings(bushed to 3/4 ) and front reads
"max wp 125#"any ideas?

Comments

• Jim_22
    Jim_22 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Area 51?

Your kids ever watch the movie "The Iron Giant"? Looks like his head. :)
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    That's

Murph's diving helmet. What are you doing with it?

Better give it back, He needs it for Wetstock 2!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alaska Joe
    Alaska Joe Member Posts: 37
    Options
    My Guess

Was it a big mine? If they had there own medical unit, I'm guessing its a sterilizer, second guess, and old steam kettle for cookie...
  • paul lessard_3
    paul lessard_3 Member Posts: 186
    Options
    very small mine

colonial period,native americans before that. Has been abandoned for over 100 years. Steam heat? gravity? early htp proudct? "mine munchkin"?
  • greg_7
    greg_7 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    wasdis

Its a coal fired water heater. You're missing the base and grates.

It would be hooked up to a tank and function like the old "Side-Arm" gas units.

I picked up one that was a little newer for the cabin I'll never have. I should take a pic and post it.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Had one

when I was a kid! heated water just like a side arm heater. gravity to a range boiler tank next to it. The name I was told was the "Monkey stove" Ours was more conventional with a flat stove top and lids. However the pic is one of a "Monkey Stove" for sure

bigugh
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options

i've seen these adboned in older homes also very simalar they used to fire with coal and the pipes connected to a very large storage tank the boiler heated the tank by gravity and gave them domestic hot water .seen them with old texaco oil burners also hooked up to some huge storage tanks over 500 gallons ya got to see it to believe it
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    I've seen one

It was shown to me as a "bucket-a-day" water heater. It originally had a tank with a coil hanging from the ceiling. One bucket of coal and some gravity flow. Probably made a nice warm spot on the floor too.
  • Dan Law
    Dan Law Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Cosmic coincidence?

In truth had never seen one of these before, but Friday afternoon I go to the home of the brother of one of the maint men at a school account of ours. He had asked me to look at the brother's one pipe system in a 100yr + farm house he's remodeling (keeping the system - already replaced the boiler - replacement job looks reasonable - made need to repipe the header, I'm calculateing the velocities tonight) Anyway, I'm chasing the supply around the basement checking for vents. The line ran though an old coal bin converted to work shop. Under the workbench sets one of these things! A week earlier I would have looked right past it. Think I'll tell the brother I'll tune up the boiler in trade for the "Monkey".
  • Dan Law
    Dan Law Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Cosmic coincidence?

In truth, I had never seen one of these before, but Friday afternoon I go to the home of the brother of one of the maint men at a school account of ours. He had asked me to look at the brother's one pipe system in a 100yr + farm house he's remodeling (keeping the system - already replaced the boiler - replacement job looks reasonable - may need to repipe the header, I'm calculateing the velocities tonight) Anyway, I'm chasing the supply around the basement checking for vents. The line ran though an old coal bin converted to work shop. Under the workbench sets one of these things! A week earlier I would have looked right past it. Think I'll tell the brother I'll tune up the boiler in trade for the "Monkey". Also had a 500 gal+ lap riveted tank in basement too. I took this to be the original well tank, but now I'm wondering. The vessel had what looked to be gauge glass fittings.
This discussion has been closed.