Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Busting leaks & rubber on the rocks

Options
John_21
John_21 Member Posts: 34
If it is not one thing it is another that will do you in. John

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options

Leak Busters to the rescue again. Woody was able to locate a small leak in this 12 year old system. Using Helliun, orthascopes and a combo of nitrogen and water to pinpoint the leak.

Turns out injecting nitrogen and a small flow of water will create a gurgling, popping sound. Similar to squeezing a garden hose off. Cavatation. This sound is easily picked you with the sensitive listening equipment.

The bad news is the condition of the tube. Looks almost like an insect penetration, in spots. Also the concrete attached to the tube and pulls chunks of the tube when you try to remove it.

Woody the leak buster worked in Hawaii for 8 years. Fairly common over there was termite attacks. They would bore holes in the flexible PVC lines that were run from the swimming pool skimmers to the pump. The bugs would bore very tiny holes to nurse water from the pipe. After enough of these tiny holes the pool pumps would start to suck enough air to cavatite them. He never did see these holes in the rigid PVC lines, only the soft flexible PVC stuff. Weird!

Now to break the news to these homeowners that just purchased this home.

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Cat_3
    Bob Cat_3 Member Posts: 8
    Options

In the pictures what type of pipe is that?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    It's Entran 3

Onix. One of GY's last attempts to make it right :(

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Yah Rubber

Ya gotta love that rubber. It's more flexible! and twice the price. And guarenteed, if you could find someone to stand behind it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Oh Boy!

I've got almost 2 miles of it in this house!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Any chance...

...that the system was repeatedly operated at very high temperature--like deep setback and a supply temp set too high to compensate?
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    insect ?

That dos'nt look like the work of insects to me.

So you think this is tube failure ? Is it brittle like the poor batches of rubber house ? If so how can you repair it ?

What are you going to suggest to the new owners ?

What a shame, another black eye for radiant.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Do the owners

have any kind of a home warranty plan; here in CA, it is required that they are offered a one year plan....and it's usually not that expensive.

I tell my customers who have older homes to keep on renewing the plan becuase it's cheap insurance.

The downside to home warranty plans is that the technicians they send out don't have much experience in plumbing or radiant.

Thanks for the pictures, hr.

All the best,

Alan

This discussion has been closed.