Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak in a 3 year old Burnham Boiler, what do i do?

Steve Eayrs
Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
I know from personal experience that they had problems with leaks in the casting of one model (believe it was the V-7 or V-8 model?)

Call the good folks at Burnham, or their area rep..

They will let you now if yours is one of the defective models. If I remember right we had leaks in two sections in the casting (a pin hole) around the bottom, just below the inspection/cleaning ports. They replaced the boiler, (which was only a couple years old), with a current model, but the labor was not covered.

Steve

Comments

• Dan_4
    Dan_4 Member Posts: 3
    Boiler leak in 3 year old boiler

I have a 3 year old Burnham boiler that has leaked. What should I do in terms of fixing or having it replaced. Will Burnham stand behind it.
  • Your first step

is to contact your local contractor who will in turn contact his distributor. Be sure to have him take the jacket off to determine if in fact the boiler is leaking or if it is a system piping leak. If the boiler is indeed leaking, he will contact his distributor with the model number and serial number and will be advised of the proper procedure. Hope this helps. If you are a contractor, then proceed right to the leak identification process.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Corp.
  • Edward A. Carey
    Edward A. Carey Member Posts: 48
    Burnham boilers

To Glenn and all,

I read this site every day, but I only throw im my $0.02 at times. This is one of those times.

Glenn, you are a credit to the trade and this site. Before anyone can even jump in and give advice to Dan on his question, you step right up to the plate, and take a swing, even with the knowledge that it may cost your company some money in the form of a warranty.

If all of the manufacturers had the same mind set as you, this would be a very different industry.

Hats off to you,

Regards

Edward A. (Ed) Carey
    E.A. Carey H.V.A.C.
  • Boilerpro_2
    Boilerpro_2 Member Posts: 89
    If it is the boiler, I would also look for why it leaked

Most cast iron boilers are well built and will give many years of service if properly installed. This last "if" is a doozy, though... about 95% of the boilers in my area that I look at are poorly or improperly installed.

Boilerpro

• Scott25
    Scott25 Member Posts: 30
    leaking

You may also want to look at water quality. An untreated system under the right(wrong) conditions can eat up pumps, boilers,and piping in a matter of years.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    On Glenn Stanton................................................

I wholeheartedly concur! He is a stand up guy for sure. He cares enough to monitor the Wall on a regular basis - which is not common. He is an asset to this industry. Thanks Glenn, Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Thanks Matt and others for your kind words!

Just doing my job and enjoy just about every minute of it. As far as this boiler is concerned, I put him in contact with our Eastern CT rep a few days ago and he did a jobsite visit later today with the oil company. I was with our representative today in New London, CT and as far as I know, this is a steel boiler and not cast iron. I will probably get an e-mail tonight regarding what they found. I'm looking forward to being together with you, Ron Jr. and many others in May and June when I come to the island. Thanks again and we always are aware that it only takes one "Aww Nuts" to wipe out 10 "Attaboys"; so it's always important to keep the "Aww Nuts" to a minimum, even though I make them from time to time!

Glenn
  • Steve

The problem you are probably referring to was with the V-7 oil-fired boiler and was more related to a thermal stress crack than a pinhole. It would have occured with the water models only. The possible causes of this were identified and corrected in 1997. In 2000 we introduced the V-8 as a completely redesigned boiler with much larger water passageways, larger radius turns and larger water contents to completely do away with the possible thermal stress issues related to the V-7. We are more than delighted with the acceptance level we have received with this boiler from you folks out there installing them. In addition to the total redesign, we have asked the trade for other input on how we can further improve the boiler to make your life easier. Very shortly, you will be seeing the V-8 come through with many additional features as a direct result of your input. Thanks for your support and for your comments, both positive and negative. Your input is important to us and the relationships we build are too! Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training - Northeastern Region

Burnham Hydronics
  • Dan_4
    Glenn Stanton & Burnham

I would like to thank both Glenn and Burnham's field rep for their help with my boiler. The rep was by on Friday, took a look and it looks as though things will be resolved shortly. I applaud both of them on their professionalism and quick response to my problem. In addition, I would like to thank Cady Oil of Middletown, CT. I had sought help and/or advice from a few different companies, none of whom really did much to help me. Cady oil, however, had a rep in touch and out to my house quickly and together with the Burnham rep., helped me gain the piece of mind that I my furnace was in good hands. Thanks again to all who offered advice on this site, Dan Holohan for offering the site and all those from Burnham and Cady Oil who helped me solve this problem, Dan Mercier
  • Dan_4
    Glenn Stanton & Burnham

I would like to thank both Glenn and Burnham's field rep for their help with my boiler. The rep was by on Friday, took a look and it looks as though things will be resolved shortly. I applaud both of them on their professionalism and quick response to my problem. In addition, I would like to thank Cady Oil of Middletown, CT. I had sought help and/or advice from a few different companies, none of whom really did much to help me. Cady oil, however, had a rep in touch and out to my house quickly and together with the Burnham rep., helped me gain the piece of mind that I my furnace was in good hands. Thanks again to all who offered advice on this site, Dan Holohan for offering the site and all those from Burnham and Cady Oil who helped me solve this problem, Dan Mercier
  • MJR
    MJR Member Posts: 2
    Need help....frustrated

We installed a Burnhm V8 oil-fired boiler in 2004. My oil company just informed me that the casting is cracked and needs to be replaced. I notice that there seems to be others that have had the same issues. Will Burnham stand behind this?

Please help
This discussion has been closed.