Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anticipator calibration?!

Options
adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
Is there way to measure the resistance at the stat and then set the thermostat? If so, how?

Comments

• I think you want

to measure amperage. If so you can use an amp meter placed in series with the thermostat wire. Most systems are low amperage so you may want to wind a piece of wire 10 times to use as a multiplier.

Example the amperage draw of primary control may be .2 the ten windings will allow your amp meter to read 2 amps. You then divide the 2 by 10 and get .2.

If you are using a clamp on Amprobe do the same thing with the multiplier.

There are also special shunt type ampmeters for just setting thermostat anticpators. Universal Enterprises Inc. and some other companies have them.

If you e-mail me your postal address I can send you some info on this to help you out.
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Amp Mate

I have one called an Amp Mate. It is built in to a plastic case and has the leads built in. It is made just for tstats.
  • E. Holtman
    E. Holtman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    how about for electronic tstats?

I checked with the gage and got a reading of .8

My white-rogers electronic t-stat has an adjustable anticipater with a range of 2 to 40 (no explanation as far as units... it only says "factory set at 5; recommend 35 for hydronic applications"... my app. is steam vapor.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eli
  • Programmable Thermostats

do not typically have an anticipator. the .8 reading you got is the amperage draw of your primary control (gas valve, zone valve, vent damper etc) Primary control is the control that the thermostat directly operates.

I would need the exact numbers of your White Rodgers thermostat in order to give you a setting for your system. Do you have the specification sheet for the thermostat that tells you how to program it? If you need help with the thermostat e-mail dennis.snow@White-Rodgers.com
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Most ...

electronic thermostat manuals will cover how to set them for "cycles per hour" in the literature . This is their (albeit feeble) attempt at matching the current draw .

Again , I say most....will have a couple screws and note to "turn screw A/B out 1 turn, turn screw A/B all the way in" for different types of heating systems .

Electric, forced warm air and hot water seem to be the choices found mostly. I guess you just have to futz with them to figure out what to do for steam or mixed scenerios. Hope this helps .
This discussion has been closed.