Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

$5/sqft

Options
Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
I gave a quote to a customer the other day to do a radiant heating system in a 180 sqft. addition.

I was going to use a "pre-made" flooring system . Now I visited the home and took measrements and did a heat loss calc.

Punched it all in to the product software and came up with some numbers.

I sent the quote to this person and he called me back and said that he was told that the system should not cost more than $5/sqft.

$5x180 = $900.00

I was "a bit" higher than that.

The customer said he called the manufacturer and got that number.

Keep in mind that this will be an isolated system with a seperate heat generator. VS controls and all the whistles.

Can a 180 sqft addition be done correctly for $5/sqft?

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    I must run into the same people.

I occasionally have the same problem.
    For the most part reps. don't give out prices, but every once in a while one of them thinks they know how much the whole system should cost installed, just because they sell a couple of the components.

Now if its a 5000 sq.ft. place they may be close.
    Steve
  • paul lessard_3
    paul lessard_3 Member Posts: 186
    Options
    5 bucks? yea no problem

First buy some garden hose, one of those foot operated air pumps rig it to w/h (some glue might be needed@ foot pump connection) pump when heat is needed. go outside to rest and check temp @ same time to calc.foot strokes per min.
    Could siggy help with fspm formulas? People crack me up.
    Did you "go to truck to get pencil sharpener?(IGN) good luck on the next one .....paul
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    Thanks Steve

This guy thinks I'm a crook.

BTW, the "manufacturers software" prints out a cost of over $1400 for THEIR materials alone!!! Never mind pumps, controls and all the rest.

The next invoice I get from a vendor is going to be disputed. I will only pay what I "think" it ought to cost.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    Hey!

> First buy some garden hose, one of those foot

> operated air pumps rig it to w/h (some glue might

> be needed@ foot pump connection) pump when heat

> is needed. go outside to rest and check temp @

> same time to calc.foot strokes per min. Could

> siggy help with fspm formulas? People crack me

> up. Did you "go to truck to get pencil

> sharpener?(IGN) good luck on the next one

> .....paul

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    Hey!

I use pens!

Tried sharpening one of them once and it didn't work,

You the same Paul I met at Wetstock 1?

Watch out for them STOP signs!!

Mark H

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I set a world record...

on my own brother in laws, fathers radiant floor project. I think it came in around $125.00 per square foot. And ya know what, he didn't flinch an inch! I didn't quate him a price per square foot, that just what it worked out to doing the math backwards.

More than one manufacturer has gotten their foot stuck in their mouth spoutificating prices per square foot. Care to share who the manufacturer is so we can collectively ask him to NOT quote a per square foot cost to anyone who calls him without knowing what the heck he's talking about?

I hold no bars...

ME
  • paul lessard_3
    paul lessard_3 Member Posts: 186
    Options
    they should look out for me.

wet what? are you some kind of prev? this website is all about heating stuff..alright I could have been there but you can't prove a thing .Almost forgot "tubing goes in after floor covering,you know to keep it simple for flooring guy,these details are important.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Just smile and move on, Mark.

This person is going to get what they paid for. It's not worth spending another minute's worth of your valuable time on. That's why I give estimated prices during the first discussion. Estimates are free. Designs and quotes have costs associated with them. If you would have told them you must charge for your time to do the design, they would have said you're nuts and walked away. But look at all the time you would have saved to be in the same position you're in now. Just a thought.

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Unrealistic prices

It seems like all my prospects have talked to these internet "nuts" I get statements of wisdom that are so familiar like "all you need is a water heater, any goof can put our system in,You just hang a single run of 7/8" tube ineach joist bay and lay a sheet of our special reflective foil under it. And the real kicker-"if they weren't legit they wouldn't be a member of RPA. Boy does that get under my skin! They wear RPA like a badge of honor and then cross their fingers behind their back-I'm guessing! WOW do I feel better now. Sorry for the whine.
This discussion has been closed.