Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is my boiler cycling normal?

Options
I recently had the pressuretrol die on my 70 year old boiler. The service man replaced the pigtail and pressuretrol. I set the cut in @ .5psi and the differential to about 1.5psi. I know that the less pressure the better with one-pipe steam. But now the thermostat calls for heat, the boiler runs for a while and then cuts out at high pressure, cuts on after pressure drops, repeats until the thermostat stops calling for heat. My question is: Is this normal? Is this effecient?

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    pressuretrol

That's exactly the way it's supposed to work. Unless the cycling is very abrupt, it's the normal operation sequence. Your service man did it right by changing the pigtail to make sure there was no obstruction.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Boilerpro_2
    Boilerpro_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    How long are the on and off cycles?

Do you have any radiators shut off? You may have a boiler that is just too big for the job.

Boilerpro
  • Peter mark
    Peter mark Member Posts: 7
    Options
    boiler oversized?

Most boilers are oversized, aern't hey? But the pressure settings you report are too high ! Suggestion: Cut out setting 1 3/4 PSIG, cut in setting 1/2 PSIG.doing this on a standard pressuretrol however, you will need a diaphram type vaporstat............
This discussion has been closed.